What's new

PDQ M5 Drive Shaft Problems

Etowah

bigleo48

Reaction score
My PDQ M5 is a great machine, but not perfect. One of the ongoing problems has been the 10' shaft that connects the driver side wheel to the motor/gearbox on the passenger side wheel.

On the Laser 4000, that shaft use to be solid (cost over $1000), but on the M5 there are solid ends with a Schedule 10 stainless pipe (cost $250). Initially we started have problems with the welds between the end rods and the pipe breaking (yes my bridge alignment is good and the rollers and wheels are straight). After rewelding them a couple of times, we decided to drill some holes in the sleeve to have more welding surface area. The welds never broke again, but the pipe did!

So I had the shaft remade with schedule 40 stainless pipe and it is much stronger. Hopefully that holds for a few years.

gearhead

Reaction score
Drive Shaft problems

How old was it when you started having the issues?

gearhead

Reaction score
M5 drive shaft issue

Thanks for heads up. No problems on mine after 4 years as of yet. I will be giving mine a good visual tomorrow.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I believe not all M5s have the same shaft. My understanding is that some have the thicker walled shafts...so that may explain your particular lack of problems. My distributor/tech mentioned that it is common.