What's new

PDQ Laserwash 360 "Ghost"

Speedi

Reaction score
I have a PDQ Laserwash 360 that a will automatically start up for no reason at all on HIGH PRESSURE when it's in an idle state. It has been doing this since my distributor installed the machine 3 years ago, and to no avail the PDQ Engineers have not been able to resolve the problem. My distributor has put in a new "Titan Board" along with new software and the machine will still randomly start up on HIGH PRESSURE on its own. It runs for about an hour +/- and then shuts off when the motor gets so hot it blows the circuit breaker. You can do the math of the water usage 35 gallons a minute times 60 +/- minutes. Does anyone or are there any other PDQ distributors that have any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to resolve the problem? Thank You!

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Hey buddy I know this is a random suggestion and I personally dont have a 360 I got a 4000. I would be tempted to changed the motor starter/contactor for the high pressure pump, even though we all know low voltage sends power to the coil the make it pull in. I would change it anyways just to see. It may be getting stuck when a car is in the bay washing and the contacts not releasing.

carwashireland

Reaction score
You really need to check if their is a voltage going to the contactor coil when it is in this faulty state. If you do then trace back where it is coming from, if you do not then do what tdl said and change out that contactor!

Speedi

Reaction score
Changing out the contactor has crossed my mind, however the incoming water solenoid on the pump stand is receiving a power signal to turn on & open up in order for the pump to pump water out the arch. Otherwise the HP pump would run dry & burn up. I don't know if the motor contactor & the incoming water solenoid circuitry are designed this way so as to protect the pump from running dry? Good question for PDQ?

boywonder

Reaction score
I think you need to tell us what you have already done. While we could go through the list of PDQ recommendation we might have others that may help. I have experienced a similar issue after we installed the machine almost 9 years ago.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
So on a 360 there is no HP rinse holding tank like we have on a 4000 or washworld is that correct? A 360 is direct feed pump no holding tank for water.

Speedi

Reaction score
My distributor has replaced the main "Titan Board" along with the software. It started up again this afternoon & ran until the breaker blew. My distributor is coming out again tomorrow morning for some more troubleshooting.

Speedi

Reaction score
That is correct, the Laser 360 is direct water feed from my 2" city water line.

Kevin James

Reaction score
If the machine just arbitrarily starts on its own and runs then I would have to say you’ve differently got a serious issue. If you’re so called PDQ distributor or PDQ can’t figure it out what the problem might be then it’s time to seek the help of a lawyer. The car wash industry is full of distributors who are nothing more than “fly by nighters” and same goes for a good number of the manufactures, they could give a rip less about the customer who buys there equipment once it’s been sold. Get a lawyer!!

Speedi

Reaction score
Getting a Lawyer may be an option since the response from PDQ has been in my opinion serverly lacking in customer support. My distributor & I have spoken to several engineers at the Car Wash Show last April in Vegas & they just give you lip service & never ever follow up with me or my distributor about resolving the problem. I've lost my patience not to mention thousands of dollars in lost revenue these past three years so perhaps I should call a Lawyer. [/I

boywonder

Reaction score
Have you replaced the relay card, the node, the wiring, the contactor, the transformer, the software?

Speedi

Reaction score
We have replaced the Titan Board, software, the node & relay card. PDQ said the SD card was full of data & most likely that was the problem as they said "funny things" can happen if the SD card gets full of data. My distributor replaced the SD cards last Tuesday & the repair lasted until today as it once again stuck on High Pressure. Fed up for sure!

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I have a 360, but have never seen that issue. I’m surprised you’re not getting better service from PDQ, that’s opposite experience I get. This doesn’t help solve your problem, but wanted you to know.

Seems like you have replaced most of the brains of the system. Can you replicate the problem at will? Or can you replicate the conditions when the issue usually happens? Have you contacted Kris Oliver of PDQ? He’s been known to come onsite.

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
We have replaced the Titan Board, software, the node & relay card. PDQ said the SD card was full of data & most likely that was the problem as they said "funny things" can happen if the SD card gets full of data. My distributor replaced the SD cards last Tuesday & the repair lasted until today as it once again stuck on High Pressure. Fed up for sure!
I have heard that from pdq a lot, about the sd cards being full and causing problems. Clearing it out has never solved any of my problems. I am curious of a few things, do you have a no power weep or regular weep setup?

Also does the laserwash have a "debugging" feature like the g-5 does? That allows you to see the line by line code as it is executed to see what the programming is actually doing. I have never used it myself but it might be helpfull to see what happened right before it turns on if you have it.

And have you been there when it has suddenly turned on? Do hou hear anything different happening?

Speedi

Reaction score
Jeff, We can't replicate the problem at will or try to duplicate the conditions of start up. It will turn on randomly with nobody around, & I've seen it turn on after a car has exited the wash. Were at a loss as my distributor has been working with PDQ Chris Campbell (I believe). That may be the next step to have Kris Oliver come out & troubleshoot, but my distributor who has sold 20+ 360 machines has done everything PDQ has asked him to do. He's at a loss also.

Etowah

Speedi

Reaction score
We have a power weep set at 5 degrees turned off & regular weep set to turn on at 36 degrees. We have not experienced any cold temps below 36 degrees for weeks now & have never been close to 5 degrees. The 360 does have a debugging feature, but PDQ is saying by running it as long as we did to find the problem it filled up the SD card with data. I have been there when it has suddenly turn on & I don't hear anything unusual & the arch doesn't even rotate or move, just shoots out high pressure rinse. When were there & catch it we turn off the main circuit breaker for 30 seconds then back on & the machine is then operational. Obviously, were not there all the time so the machine runs at HP until the motor gets so hot it blows the circuit breaker.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I have not worked on one of these newer lasers yet, but I'm just thinking out loud here. Is the machine internet enabled? And if it is, when you log in, is there a simple way to turn on the high pressure pump with toggling a bit? If so, you might try killing the internet link for a while. There's a chance someone is screwing around with your equipment...

APW

Reaction score
I have not worked on one of these newer lasers yet, but I'm just thinking out loud here. Is the machine internet enabled? And if it is, when you log in, is there a simple way to turn on the high pressure pump with toggling a bit? If so, you might try killing the internet link for a while. There's a chance someone is screwing around with your equipment...
Exactly what I was thinking. I would try using the remote control to stop it next time I caught it doing it.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Do you have power weep enabled? Perhaps a temp sensor is/going bad and making the machine think it’s below freezing? Just grasping at straws.

Speedi

Reaction score
We have the power weep turned off. The other day my distributor came & pulled out the new SD Card he put in several days prior. He sent the information directly to PDQ & the SD Card had not filled up any weird data since he had installed it 5 days prior. So we think were good there operating with a clear SD Card. We did unplug the ethernet cable just to see if something weird is going on with the camera system, the credit card processing systems i.e. Hamilton DAN, & the VPN system PDQ installed. We unplugged the ethernet Monday January 28th & so far no random High Pressure water start ups.