What's new

PDQ -In Bay LED Signs

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I have an M5 and two of the new Laser Wash units that have the LED style service confirmation signs in the bay. We have had a rash of speakers go bad, and they are housed in these signs. The old style sign (M5) is much easier to get at, than the new 2 part Laser Wash signs.

However, both designs use a metal threaded insert that the stainless bolts screw into hodling the cover on the sign. Over a very short period of time (~2 mo's) these threads become corroded and when you try to remove the screw, the insert starts spinning inside the plastic sign housing and the screw won't loosen. Hence you can't remove the cover!

It is very frustrating and I'm wondering if PDQ will come up with a different style fastener for these. I'm going to try and super glue the insert to the sign housing in hopes that it will prevent it from spinning. I load up the threads and bolt with anti sieze so that will be easier to open in the future.

Have any other operators had the same problems with these sign cover fasteners as I have had? What have you done to address the problem?

Ceverett

Fixer Of Things
Reaction score
I've seen it happen at one other site. Call PDQ and explain it to them and i'm sure they will take a hardware change into consideration.

gearhead

Reaction score
sign cover fasteners

I have 3 M5s and all the sign cover fasteners have done what you discribed. I too have used the anti sieze and it seems to work most of the time. I also have some plastic replacement screws installed to see how they hold up. My next attempt at fixing this is to remove the inserts and modify the holes so they will except a plastic push in barb pin like the ones used in automotive. That way if they break, you can just push the broken part through and replace it with a spare.

ccola#1

Reaction score
you need to remove metal fasteners and use a plastic push type anchor that you would use on car body plastic parts, I can't think of the correct name of them,but I picked some up at the local auto parts store

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll try the plastic inserts. I posted this same thread on 10/27 on PDQ's owners forum site, looking for a response. The company hasnt responded as of yet. Must be they dont consider this to be a problem.

gearhead

Reaction score
in bay signs

When my wash was built 2 years ago, they only put half the screws in the signs from the start knowing that the screws would sieze up after awhille. Im pretty sure you'll be on your own on this one.

Mike

Reaction score
Scott
This is something we are looking at.
If you have questions please feel free to call me.
Regards
Mike