What's new

PDQ G5 rear of vehicle measuring issues

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Hope the new year is treating you all well. I wanted to see if fellow G5 owners could chime in on the performance of your unit in regards to measuring the rear of vehicles. I worked as a tech for a few distributors so I know what I have seen in the field. I now work for a private owner with 5 sites. I am trying to get our G5's to consistently measure the rear of vehicles. And seeing as it's been ongoing for 6 years now, I'm frustrated . So this is an attempt to see if there is a group of good running properly measuring machines out there. And if so , what is different between that machine and the bay its in etc. And my machines that no matter what I try will still intermittently go to limits on some vehicles and not touch the rear tailgate etc. Of course the dirtiest part of a minivan that just came off of a salt covered highway and a huge cause for re-washes.

Thanks in advance.

Rosey G5

Reaction score
G5 measuring

I have 5 G5s and ever since they switched to dual ultrasonics,I have the exact same problem too.It seems to happen more on the bigger suvs,trucks.You can punch in input monitor(IM236) for the ultrasonic and it will show up fine.Next vehicle through it will go to the limit.I've replaced the sau board,input board,control card,backplane,you name it.Also i've taken off the plastic covers.Hopefully somebody from PDQ is watching the forums to provide some insight.

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
In my opinion the single blue old style sonic worked the best. I switched mine over to a single black new style in the center and have ran this for several years. I find temperature affects the sonic and like you others have issues with it being very inconsistent. Other than the sonic and the sau board it connects to I cant see what else that could be done? You would think at this point and stage these machines are at that there would be a sonic that actually works and works right? I wish I could report a solution but for now same issues you mention above!

Reaction score
thank you folks for the replies. Good to know I'm not the only one, I sent another email to the distributor yesterday. After checking all the things they suggested. They seem to still have the issue in the pipeline and I may be receiving a new software to test. Although I have updated software etc in the past . So I'm not holding my breath but at least it's another new thing to try out and see if we can get some resolution . I just replied this AM to them that I would love to test the software. I'll let you know the results.

LakesideCarWash

Reaction score
PDQ G5 Rear measurement

I am located in Dallas. Since Twin Distributing installed the ultrasonic retrofit I have 0 issues with the rear measurement. The retrofit works with 450mm as the back measurement. I can get you information if you would like.

Reaction score
what does the "retrofit" you have accomplish. I am thinking I may already have it unless it's really new. But I'm definitely interested in the fact that you have 0 rear measurement issues. As with my 8 machines and the 100 or so I installed between 2003-2007. It's literally the first I have heard of a consistently measuring machine.

LakesideCarWash

Reaction score
PDQ G5 Rear measurement

The retrofit consisted of the two eyes on top, brackets that holds the two eyes and a hardware/software upgrade that I don't quite know the details. Also, I am told to set my back offset at 450mm. Mark from Twin Distributing completed the retrofit. After this installation, I never had a problem with the arch being too far away from the vehicle, which was always the case with the one eye on top. Let me know if you would like to speak with Twin and I can send you further information.

Reaction score
Thanks Lakeside, I have that setup already on three units out of the 8 didn't change anything for me, I have installed a software update works for viper boards only. Im watching it on a single bay so far so good as always time will tell. Unfortunately if this software fixes it we will have to upgrade all of the motherboards in our g5's to utilize it as it will not be compatible with the intrynsic boards.

The retrofit consisted of the two eyes on top, brackets that holds the two eyes and a hardware/software upgrade that I don't quite know the details. Also, I am told to set my back offset at 450mm. Mark from Twin Distributing completed the retrofit. After this installation, I never had a problem with the arch being too far away from the vehicle, which was always the case with the one eye on top. Let me know if you would like to speak with Twin and I can send you further information.