What's new

Paraplate BR5-2 Regulator...

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Instructions say to mount vertical and fill with oil. Just wondering how well this works? What kind of oil? I'm thinking Cat oil would be a good choice?

MEP001

Reaction score
The instructions say it CAN be filled with oil, but not that it needs to be. FWIW I've never had one fail from anything that would have been protected by oil, they just start to leak through the weep hole (which will push the oil out and make a mess).

Overachiever

Reaction score
When I installed some new ones recently I just squirted some cat oil in it but didn't "fill it".

MEP001

Reaction score
Petroleum-based won't hurt the Buna-Neoprene o-rings, nor will it even work its way down to them.

Since the reason for oiling is for the conical washer spring, I'd use either a lubricating oil or nothing.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
2Biz,

Not sure if this helps but I remember one time I had a regulator on the shelf as a standby part for a bit too long & the internals would not move properly when we needed it. Just spraying downward in it some Tri Flo ... if I remember right ... loosened up so it worked & working ever since. That specific Paraplate may have its own specific requirement though. I wonder if you can get technical support on the phone from Paraplate?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Last week I disassembled one from my brothers wash, I had to beat it apart. The washer spring was a solid rusted block. I wished I had taken a picture of it.

Never knew you could put oi in them, guess I should rrad the instructions more often.

Paraplate is a small company. Don't call at lunchtime expecting an answer.

MEP001

Reaction score
Last week I disassembled one from my brothers wash, I had to beat it apart. The washer spring was a solid rusted block. I wished I had taken a picture of it.
I have several I can take apart and post a picture. It was likely rusted because it was leaking. They can be rebuilt pretty easily, but I don't because they never last very long after that.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
2Biz, Greg, & others

You may want to switch to a different regulator. It seems like some of the other brands have all stainless steel internals so they tend to never go bad. Correct me if I am wrong.

mike ... all new www.kingkoin.com

MEP001

Reaction score
2Biz, Greg, & others

You may want to switch to a different regulator. It seems like some of the other brands have all stainless steel internals so they tend to never go bad. Correct me if I am wrong.
The conical washer spring set isn't supposed to get wet, so it doesn't go bad unless it's allowed to leak for an extended period.

What regulator are you using that tends to "never go bad?"

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Its interesting, on the paraplates, all parts are either SS or nickel plated except for the spring washers. I guess that's how they get them to eventually fail!

I have the silicone oil coming...Thanks to Amazon! I'm always up for doing something outside the norm....

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
The conical washer spring set isn't supposed to get wet, so it doesn't go bad unless it's allowed to leak for an extended period.

What regulator are you using that tends to "never go bad?"
Sorry for the delay in getting back to your good question: It turns out my main guy used up the last one so mine can go out albeit rarely... sometimes we shamefully do not let each other know or keep perfect inventory. It has been so long since ordering ... I am not sure 100% what brand. It is either this: https://windtrax.com/storefrontComm...&order-uom=EA&warehouse-id=1&item-number=7075 or this it seems: https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-17...ssure-regulator-38-npt-7-gpm-200-2000psi.aspx

The paraplate may have other considerations to justify its almost twice price tag ... not sure. Looking at my existing unloader-regulators they have a more knurled surface ... so I think the manufactures may have had slight alterations made on later stock sent out. I am not sure if I totally understand some distinctions between an unloader - regulator & one that is described just as an unloader!

Mep, I am pretty sure that the SMCs were put on originally back in 1987 on the then brand new equipment & install from the now defunct Specialty Equipment. Those regulators are the one that had that horrible rusting. I wonder if a local water supply affects the life of regulators???

MEP001

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in getting back to your good question: It turns out my main guy used up the last one so mine can go out albeit rarely... sometimes we shamefully do not let each other know or keep perfect inventory. It has been so long since ordering ... I am not sure 100% what brand. It is either this: https://windtrax.com/storefrontComm...&order-uom=EA&warehouse-id=1&item-number=7075 or this it seems: https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-17...ssure-regulator-38-npt-7-gpm-200-2000psi.aspx
Those are the same, both Adams 7075 regulators.

The paraplate may have other considerations to justify its almost twice price tag ... not sure. Looking at my existing unloader-regulators they have a more knurled surface ... so I think the manufactures may have had slight alterations made on later stock sent out. I am not sure if I totally understand some distinctions between an unloader - regulator & one that is described just as an unloader!
The Paraplate keep a more accurate pressure and in my experience last more than twice as long as the Adams 7075.

The Adams 7075 and the Paraplate BR5-2 are not unloaders, they are balanced pressure regulators. An "unloader" will let the pump run with no pressure if all flow to the gun is stopped.

Mep, I am pretty sure that the SMCs were put on originally back in 1987 on the then brand new equipment & install from the now defunct Specialty Equipment. Those regulators are the one that had that horrible rusting. I wonder if a local water supply affects the life of regulators???
As I mentioned before, what affects the springs rusting is allowing the regulator to leak, or something to leak on it. I don't understand faulting a product for the end user's lack of maintenance.