What's new

Panama 10 cent coin works like Quarter

U Wash

Joe Dirt
Reaction score
Just found a Republic of Panama 10 cent coins in with my quarters. Checked and found my Ginsan Multitron acceptor took it and gave credit for a quarter.
I have them on fairly high acceptance level. Has anyone else found these coins? I only lucked into finding it because I was hand sorting some coins.
They look like a quarter and are exactly the same size. They will probably cycle right through back to the public.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I originally had those coin acceptors and swapped them out as they had trouble differentiating between some very different coins. As I remember they would also need reprogramming on a regular basis.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've never used the Multitron myself, but many people have described having the same problems with them as bigleo.

DavidM

Reaction score
I used to use Multitrons and experienced similar problems. It seemed that they needed to be reprogrammed regularly or at least whenever the temperature changed significantly. They often confused pennies and our $1 security token.

We slowly swapped them out.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I used to use Multitrons and experienced similar problems. It seemed that they needed to be reprogrammed regularly or at least whenever the temperature changed significantly. They often confused pennies and our $1 security token.

We slowly swapped them out.
DavidM,

What brand did you swap them out with ... that are more reliable?

MikeW

DavidM

Reaction score
I switched to Microcoin QL acceptors. I tried a couple acceptors before settling on Microcoins. We have 15-20 of them, the first ones were installed about 10 years ago. I haven't had any problems.

David