What's new

Pan,Zoom, and Tilt (PTZ IP) Hi Res Cameras

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
It seems like in some situations a high resolution dome style PTZ camera could be of value on the outside areas of our car washes. Has anyone thought about or used them or even better yet ... have had a positive experience with them? It appears like with the right command parameters they can even PTZ based on objects that they detect moving. It does look like a bit of a learning curve though.

mike

MEP001

Reaction score
There are cameras that are controlled manually, and there are cameras that motion-detect and follow/zoom on something. There may be a DVR that itself can control a PTZ camera, but otherwise there are no "command parameters" that do it for you.

PEI

Reaction score
PTZ IP cameras can be programmed to detect motion and follow the object as well as to zoom in at certain points. The viewing software for these cameras also includes the ability to freeze a frame and zoom in on a specific object. The best feature of an IP camera is that the feed can be recorded off site on any hard drive. The down side is cost and the additional moving parts of a PTZ IP make operation more expensive. We used them at one point to monitor our bays, but they tended to be vandalized more than our bullet cameras and were just more expensive to operate. That said, most allow offsite communication enabling you to monitor your car wash from offsite and still be able to communicate with your customers. I only recommend you use this feature with customers that are having a problem that you can correct from offsite.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79G4InvJX78 The video's reference to the 2 way communication seems to be even more useful with the PTZ if an alarm tells the operator ... on his or her cell phone within seconds ... can not only see what caused the alarm but also change the zoom or angle ... which in turn also makes the recording for law enforcement even more pertinent. Now if the license # or other identification is off of a stationery camera's view ... the fast PTZ could be a nifty alternative. How well the alarm is set up to trigger the cell phone would be a key component. Just thinking outloud is all.

mike walsh king koin usa See our efforts to help the deficit crisis at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enaZn_YUYys

bigleo48

Reaction score
Every time I look at PTZ cameras, I wind up installing more fixed cameras. Its cheaper, gives you multiple recordings and less maintenance/moving parts.

Afterall, we have set points we want to monitor (coin boxes, garbage, petwashes, etc). I don't really see the need for the PTZ.

chaz

Reaction score
Agreed. I have a 32 camera system with only 26 cameras. I plan to max out system soon, just hate going into the attic to run cable.

MEP001

Reaction score
I see PTZ cameras as a necessity in monitored situations, but almost completely unnecessary for most of us.