What's new

Paloma PH24 with restricted flow

Etowah

Kirb

Reaction score
I have 5 Paloma PH24 that flow is very restricted. The previous owner stopped using hot water wash because the Palomas kept clogging with calcium. Since then have put a water softener in and want to get them working again. I did clean water filter on the inlet side. Any suggestion on how to clean the paloma out? Can I run a chemical like CLR through them?

Thanks in advance!!!

Kirb

MEP001

Reaction score
Try vinegar first. Use a small pump with a bucket full and circulate it slowly. That's much less likely to do harm to the heater. You'll want to replace the diaphragm and clean the valve before you put it back into service.

soapy

Reaction score
First thing to do is make sure that your water flow restrictor is removed. It will limit flow to 4 gpm when new or less depending on how much temp. rise you want. Without the restrictor you will get about a 70 degree rise in temperature. If you need to descale the heat exchanger I would remove it and take it to a radiator shop to descale.

Kirb

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies.

Soapy do you want me to remove the Water Regulator #117 on the paloma breakdown in the kleen-rite catalog? After that is removed where should I set the temp control for the needed increase?

Thanks again,
Kirb

bigleo48

Reaction score
When you circulate the vinegar make sure you have about 4 gallons and circulate for at least 45 minutes. That should dissolve the buildup. I use a flojet pump. Also, don't use rust/calcium cleaners (Like CLR) as they are too strong on the copper and may damage the unit.
Big