What's new

painting concrete islands/posts and color schemes

RockyMountain

Reaction score
I need to repaint the concrete vacuum island bases and posts that are all around the building. What is the best type of paint to use?

And what colors work well. We are upgrading our wash and are trying to decide on an overall color scheme. Matching the posts and bases to the rest of the wash colors is a priority and we can't decide!

bigleo48

Reaction score
I got tired of painting posts, so I just got post cover and forgot about it. In my mind, no maintenance is the way to go!

Bigleo

Deepshift

Reaction score
I agree with Big Leo. I can't imagine painting all the posts and then looking at them a year later and needing to do it again. I would find out which available color you like, and then match the rest of your car wash to that. I've never seen the post covers for less than $25 bucks but it's worth it for a one time expense. I did it 4 years ago and I smile every time I go to the wash.

Eric H

Reaction score
I have the post covers too. About 10 years old now starting to look a little faded and scratched. Glad I don't have to paint them anymore.:)

I have been using concrete stain on my vac islands. They do get dirty looking and I re-stain them every year. One of my competitors paints his every year because they peel. I'd go with stain.

mac

Reaction score
It's my understanding that stain is for bare concrete. If yours already have some coat on them you'll need a paint job. It would be nice is some of our more creative members would post some pictures of theirs.

RockyMountain

Reaction score
True- some pics would be great. I think I can probably scrape and remove most of the remaining paint. Might need some chemical involved. But stain does sound better than paint.
I know that post covers are the way to go, but for 32 bollards, it may be cost prohibitive this year. If we have to paint, is standard oil base paint the way to go?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Some experts suggest that color scheme is a function of the subject's building architecture, the architecture and color scheme of the surrounding development and the customer base.

An old wash in the neighborhood I use to live in had a drab dark blue roof and off-white block. The wash-bay was dark and unviting and the surrounding development was mostly non-descript buildings with dull -looking suttco or grey block. The wash did not stand out and you would not notice it unless you lived in the area. I used a photo of it in my investment guide book of what someone should not build.

Someone bought it a couple of years ago and refurbished it with a bright yellow and pastel color scheme and a lot of pretty landscaping. It looks great, draws a lot attention and appears to more busy than ever.

Randy

Reaction score
I think your wasting your time painting the posts. Why don?t you put Post Guards on them? Something like this www.PostGuard.com then you?ll never have to paint gain. My vac islands are painted. I repaint them about every 3 or 4 years. I pressure wash off the off paint with a turbo nozzle and I use a high quality floor/deck paint.

PEI

Reaction score
I need to repaint the concrete vacuum island bases and posts that are all around the building. What is the best type of paint to use?

And what colors work well. We are upgrading our wash and are trying to decide on an overall color scheme. Matching the posts and bases to the rest of the wash colors is a priority and we can't decide!
If the vac island is already painted you can either clean with a power washer and scrape off loose paint and then repaint with a urethane based floor paint for longest life from a non IM (industrial maintenance) coating, or you can paint with a high solids latex paint for easiest application but shorter life. You could also strip the existing paint off back to bare concrete and stain with a concrete stain and sealer.

As for what colors to use, look around you and if you have a choice don't paint it the same as most of the buildings around you. You want to be seen. If the surrounding buildings are not already using red, yellow, or orange as their trim and roof colors then you should. Red catches the eye best, followed by yellow, followed by orange. Use black sparingly to outline your bright color and give ut the most contrast in order to enhance its eye catching abilities. Fill in the large areas with warm neutrals to keep the building inviting and not overwhelming.

Just my 2 cents.