What's new

Painted cinder block wall sealer???

Rfarm

Reaction score
We have multiple coats of flaking 2 part epoxy paint inside our auto bay that are leaking into the block wall A LOT. We have a inverted L auto in this bay, so it sprays the walls a little more than some other machines. Is there a product that will stick to that paint to seal the water from entering the blocks? We considered sand blasting it, but the rep for the company was concerned about destroying parts of the wall because its so wet. I am thinking maybe a wire wheel on a angle grinder to rough it up, but then what do we use to seal or paint it with?? We really need it fixed and dry before winter.

Thanks Rfarm

MEP001

Reaction score
You would be better off with some sort of paneling.

jsmith

Reaction score
I have seen a fiberglass based roll on paint like product used in the same situation and has held up very well.

MEP001

Reaction score
What you saw was probably the fiber-reinforced epoxy coating that is sprayed on.

PEI

Reaction score
Rfarm,
You need to remove the existing paint before you apply a new one. Any new coating that you apply to the paint will bond to the existing paint but if the existing paint lets go the new coating will come with it. If it has to be painted, then the best solution is to remove the current paint. Seal and prime the block. Then paint it with a two part urethane coating. Be prepared, it is very expensive and can usually only be found at a paint store specializing in industrial coatings. It is UV resistant, chemical resistant, graffiti resistant, and water resistant. It is usually used at ports for the most extreme environments. The clear version is also used in heavy graffiti areas since no other paints will bond to it.

When I worked in the industrial coatings industry, we routinely sold 2 part epoxy to car washes, but we would not warranty it. Most of the times it failed within a couple of years. We found that 2 part urethane held up better, but few car washes were willing to pay for it.

Personally, I would just put up Extrutech Panels. You can put them up directly without having to remove the existing paint. They make clean up a snap, they make LED lights look better, and they are considerably cheaper than paint in the long run.

Just my 2 cents.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Maybe you could investigate something like this:
http://carwashcoatings.com/index.php

There were many washes in CO that were coated when newly built or rehabbed with similar stuff. Don't know if the CO crew is still in business...I'll check with come of my old associates.