What's new

Paint polishers

Etowah

soapy

Reaction score
Who else is using Cyclo dual head polishers? I just got my first one and think it is great. Makes buffing and polishing cars mush easier than 7 inch sander/polishers IMO.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I was just looking at one of these. Sounds like your pretty happy with it. What features make it better than the other single head style.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why is it better?

I'd love to try one out before buying. I've always used the B&D 7" Random Orbital pOLISHER.

What do you like about it? Do you have to change bonnets or does it use foam pads for application?

Do you apply w/cyclo then wipe off by hand? That's how I use the orbital.

Thanks.

soapy

Reaction score
I like it because it is balanced better and much easy to control. I got mine with the velcro pads that will accept foam pads of various degrees of polishing foams it and has many other attachments you can buy. You can use it to buff wax off with various bonnets like micro fiber etc. From all I have read it is also more forgiving in the hands of inexperienced details and much less likly to burn through paint.

DavidM

Reaction score
We have been using the Porter-Cable DA machine for many years. It safely applies wax and can do some polishing with the right pads and product but with minimal risk of damage. I have heard good things about the Cyclo but never wanted to spring for one without getting a chance to try it and see if it is better than what we use.

David

Renato

Reaction score
How big is the difference between dewalt , B&D and this dual

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
Look at the Flex 3401 forced rotation dual action. It gives you the best of both worlds. It's different from the Porter Cable in that when you put a little pressure on it, it keeps spinning instead of stopping and just vibrating. You'll get a good amount of correction and if used with common sense you won't have to worry about the problems some have starting out with a rotary buffer. It's amazing what you can correct with the flex using the right pad and product. Just another one to think about.

Also, if you already have a rotary buffer look at the dynabrade attachment. You can switch it from rotary to dual action and do it all with just a rotary.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Cyclo

I ordered a Cyclo and will be detailing a couple of cars on Friday. I'll report back on the results-- like you I've heard good things but I want to see for myself how well it does.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Cyclo

Got my cyclo today. Couldn't resist-- tried it out on my black '91 Lexus LS400 with only 90,000 miles but pretty badly damaged paint.

The instructions said to only use white pads on a black car, and that's what I did to start with. But, since the car virtually needs repaint anyway, and I have little to lose by causing damage but much to gain by improving what I currently have, I decided to get more aggressive.

I used green pads, then experimented with yellow pads for a section. None of these produced any visible damage and the green cleaned faster than the white and the yellow faster than the green. I only used yellow on the really knarly surfaces and settled on green for the rest.

The car looks better than I was expecting. I'm sure its not as good as with a true high speed buffer since the paint is heavily damaged, but I am pleased, very pleased, with the overall result. So far, cyclo is a winner.

Danny

Reaction score
What do you guys think on the price, availablity, and quality of pads for the cyclo? I have heard a few complaints about what is out there and just wondering what the opinion is here.

soapy

Reaction score
Danny, so far no problem with the cyclo foam pads but have not had them very long. Lexus does not use base coat, clear coat on their black paint. Back in 91 probably did not use 2 step paint anyway. Lexus black paint is pretty hard compared to a 2 step paint so I can see why the yeloow pad worked better.

soapy

Reaction score
I worked on my brothers Tundra today It had a lot of scratches from his dogs jumping on the sides of the bed trying to get in. Very deep scratches. I first had to wet sand the scratches with a 3M trizact pad and a small rotary air sander. Then I used a yellow pad with 3M #1 compound on the Cyclo followed by a green pad with #2 compound. followed that up with some Zaino all in one polish/wax. Removed all the scratches and left a mirror finish. THe finish looked great actualy after just using the yellow pad and #1 compound after the trizact sanding. I was leary of trying to wet sand a clear coat paint finish and get good results but this combination worked very well and no burned paint or buffing through the clear coat.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Soapy: is the polisher variable speed?

I believe you, but can't imagine polishing wetsand marks w/out a rotary buffer!

My carwash soap salesman said he offers a German Made 2-headed polisher for $100! Thinking about getting one for express polish. Just got some signs from my salesman, too.

They offer a liquid wax called 'perfection', which does not mark mouldings an trim if it is applied in a 'sloppy' fashion. I'd like to try it , as express is gaining momentum ans is likely to gain more with the new signs in place.

soapy

Reaction score
Cyclo polishers are made in teh US and I have heard that there is a knock off of them. It is not variable speed. Since that post we have buffed dozen of cars with the cylos. Using a 3000 grit 3m trizac sander on deep scratches and then follow with a yellow cyclo pad using 3m #1 polishing compound The shine returns without need to compound futher.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The biggest complaint I have heard about a cyclo is that it can be a little difficult to maneuver, especially around curved surfaces and areas like tail lights. It also does a great job on carpets and upholstery for really rough jobs if you use their brush attachments but with the same problem of getting into the hard places.

From my experience I think it is not a polisher for someone who is just starting out. It is a little on the pricey side and parts are expensive. A lot depends on your ability with the other types out there as to whether you like it a lot or not at all.

As a note - I knew the guy that invented the cyclo. It was originally designed to buff airplanes. The original one was really heavy like the old Souix buffers and metal cased B& D's. Took a man and a boy to use it.

easy2wash

WW 2.0/4SS/5 Vacs/Detail
Reaction score
The Flex 3401 is by far the best polisher/buffer on the market today. I have used the cyclo, porter cable, dewalt, meguiars, and they all pale in comparison to the Flex. The closest thing you can get to a rotary machine, without the risk(using common sense) of the rotary. I can polish out 1500 grit wetsanding scratches with ease. And because it is not spinning above 500 rpm, you sling almost no product, so cleanup is MUCH faster. All while never introducing swirls. You are always removing swirls, even in the compound stage. The Cyclo is the next best thing but the heads tend to hit each other causing the pads to wear prematurely. Also, the cyclo is not variable speed. The flex also carries a 3 year warranty.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So are you saying that you use this tool instead of a buffer for compounding and glazing?

What about applying wax with an h.v.l.p. spray gun and using the Flex to remove the polish/wax?

I imagine that may produce some nice results.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Flex

I recently purchased a Flex as well and really like it. It's virtually "idiot proof", meaning no swirls and no paint burn. With all of the different pads they have you can be really aggressive with the paint and not need to worry about damaging the paint. As far as removing 1500 grit sand marks, I can't speak to that, we work almost exclusively on Mercedes Benz and their scratch resistant, ceramic paint is a bitch to wet sand and buff. I have a hard time getting 2000 grit sand marks out of paint with a rotary, a wool pad and heavy grit compound, no way the flex could do it. Domestic paint and other imports, it probably could remove wet sand scratches.

John Moran

soapy

Reaction score
At the ICA show I attended a detail seminar on new technology presented by Renny Doyle. He likes to use both the Flex and cyclo polishers. I agree on the ceramic clearcoats being used by MB and BMW. Scratches can be real hard to buff out of these paints. Renny has developed a new dry sand technique for these finishes. Renny is one of the top detailers in the country and teaches classes on detailing for high end detailers.