What's new

P & G's national chain

mac

Reaction score
So Proctor and Gamble announced recently that they are going for a national chail of washes. I'm kinda surprised that no one here brought it up. This has been tried in the past with dismal results. Do you think this is possible? Look at the restaurant chains, such as Applebys, Outback, and Chilis. They have built national chains pretty well, and running a restaurant has to be more labor intensive than a car wash. Any thoughts?

CRHAMEL

Reaction score
I looked in to their progran (just for laughs)
3 requirements to get in to their franchise
1) Investors need to have 500-800 k in the bank
2) 2.5-3.0 million in assets
3) 8% franchisine free to be paid to P&G
I do not see how this oversaturated industry could absorb that
Just my info

WASH THE PLANET!!!!

Chris

mac

Reaction score
Holy crap, as they say. If an investor had that, why would he or she need P&G? Then take 8% off the top. Should be fun to watch.

easywash

Reaction score
Your figures aren't right

This is from the website: http://www.mrcleancarwash.com/

FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS
Initial franchise fee: $35,000
Investment Range: $2,000,000 to $4,000,000
Liquid Capital required: $400,000 - $800,000
Net Worth Required: $2,500,000
Royalties: 6%

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I wrote an article on this subject. If your interested in what I believe is a fairly unbiased piece, it will be published sometime late spring or early summer this year in the Auto Laundry News magazine in my Finishing Line column.

Chiefs

Reaction score
Yes, people eat three meals a day and every restaurant essentially is a cookie cutter with the same menu. This is a little harder to do either when buidling new washes or especially when purchasing existing washes. Lastly, they have liquor licenses. I think the authorities would take a dim view of selling liquor to customers when they wash their car.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Yes, people eat three meals a day and every restaurant essentially is a cookie cutter with the same menu. This is a little harder to do either when buidling new washes or especially when purchasing existing washes. Lastly, they have liquor licenses. I think the authorities would take a dim view of selling liquor to customers when they wash their car.
Geez Bill, I think you are operating with your Midwest sensibilities. In some areas you have drive thru liquor stores with the pickup window at the right height for your truck window so as not to interfere with the rifle rack.

I think some of the Delta Sonic C Stores here have liquor licenses. A friend has a Car Wash and gas store with a "Beer Cave" as part of the store. This is an area of the cooler the customers can walk into and pick up a case of chilled beer.

On a more sober note, it has underground lines from the quick lube to the wash and detail building for the waste oil to travel to fuel waste oil heaters.