What's new

Overload tripping on onboard dryer

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I finally get a good wash day after about 6 weeks of rain today. I get a phone call this AM and the guy tells me my one of my three blowers is not working. When I get there I try turning the turbine and it seems seized so I replace the motor. I didn't check the overload before I replaced the motor because I figured if it wasn't spinning freely it needed replaced. Now with the new motor installed it starts up for a few seconds then trips the overload. I tried increasing the amperage on the overload with no success. Tomorrow I was going to swap out the overload from one of the motors that was working. I am assuming that I can take amp readings but not sure how many amps the motors should be pulling. It it on a JCC Water Wizard 1.0 and the overload is a sprecher schuh CEP7-M45

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
You might want to check the ground on the motor,bad ground can create all types of crazy problems.

sparkey

Reaction score
First thing I would do is double check your motor wiring and make sure you wired the motor for the correct voltage and have a good connection on all 3 phases.

Second thing I would do is check voltage from phase to phase across all 3 phases on the bottom of the motor starter to make sure you are not missing a phase. If you are missing a phase it will trip the overloads. I have seen bad overloads or contactors lose a phase and cause this.

Third, Take an amp reading with a clamp on amp meter on each leg. They should all be equal or very close to it. No reading should be more than the full load amps listed on the motor name plate.

sprocket

Reaction score
I would also check the motor starter to make sure it is not single phasing or a voltage drop across it.

Etowah

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Nothing like an easy fix, especially on my golf day. I looked at the new motor and realized that it pulled about 5 more amps than the old one. I turned up the amperage dial on the overload and wallah... easy fix. Should have known yesterday, at least I get to golf today!