What's new

Overhead Lighting

Randy

Reaction score
14? is a little high for a dog wash, it might be a good idea to drop it down to around 9-10?. I?m going to the only Dog in town today to check it out. I?ll check on the height of the ceiling and a course the lighting.

I was only joking about the 4- Scottsdale lights. My brother remodeled one of his washes and he put in 2 - 320 scottsdales per bay. The bays are bright, but the power bill refects the bright lighting, it's about 2 times higher than it was with the 8' H.O's.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
My ceiling is cement. There are (4) pre-cast 6'x16' 'blocks' that make up the ceiling of each bay. My plan is to put 2x2's spaced out as nailers for my extructech paneling with 2" foam in between to act as an insulator.

I am going to initially only install one tub, I will have it set up so that a second one can be installed no problem. I want the room to be as open as possible and with the aluminum storefront I am using, it only makes sense to have it open so I don't 'loose' that extra space.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
My ceiling is cement. There are (4) pre-cast 6'x16' 'blocks' that make up the ceiling of each bay. My plan is to put 2x2's spaced out as nailers for my extructech paneling with 2" foam in between to act as an insulator.

Where are you located?

It seemsyou will still need to heat a 14' high space and putting the 2X2s into the precast won't be fun. with a suspended ceiling you will decrease the volume of space the HVAC needs to control. You also only need to mount the perimiter angle and then suspension points for the longest tracks.

You could mount the panels for the suspended ceiling to ridgid insulation as well. The panels could be an extrutech or glass board type material cut to size.

With a layout like that you could use four (or more easy to change) 2 tube suspended ceiling fixtures and get plenty of light. Or do what I did in my basement.

Put in the clear suspended ceiling panels --2x4 ft in 4 locations with outlet boxes wired to the switch mounted above them (probably not code) and suspended 4 of the inexpensive "Shoplight" fixtures above them. Makes for an easy changeout when a fixture goes bad, or a panel gets damaged.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am located in Michigan about 60 miles nortwest of Detroit. I am definitely open to suggestions. I have laid out a drawing of the dogwash in Google SketchUp. If anyone knows how I could post a pic of it in here, let me know.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you can't save the drawing, use Ctrl + PrntScrn, then paste that into a new Paint document and save. Use a free hosting service such as imageshack.us, host it there and post the forum link here.

MEP001

Reaction score
Gotta use the forum link:

That looks really nice.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks, that would leave me with a 9 by 15 area in the back that would eventually house my automatic mechanicals. If I can start out the year strong then this will be the first thing to go in the spring.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Bubbles,

Based on your rendering, it looks like you will have a lot of natural light during what will be most likely your busiest hours. Our dogwash building is on 3 walls 1 inch multiwalled clear polycarbonate & aluminum. With 2 layers we are only about R 7 on the roof & about R 3.5 on the walls. Mitigating factors hopefully will be the heat we harvest from our laundry dryers & fancy controls to lower the temp at night etc. Foor heat--- so it feels warmer than it is. We plan on giving the customer the option of another Flourex 42 watt (252 watt equivalent) above each tub. So 2 of the lights available when an analog light sensor says needed & 2 more if the customer wants them. The cold Missouri water will pass through fanned heat exchangers & good ventilation--- for cooling during the summer. You guys don't think I'm crazy---do you??? We have been subzero here in North Dakota almost every day for about 2 months now with over 45 inches of snow.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Bubbles,

Only 2 of the lights are mounted so the pictures probably won't help that much at this point. The ceiling is about 10 foot high & the lights (Home Depot bought outdoor wall lights) are not really hooked up yet. The ceiling ones are the only ones that are mounted. There are so many details in the custom stainless steel work & the controls ----it is so overwhelming----I will need more time & get further along before I post too much. One thing we have to do real soon is clean up the discoloration from one of the stainless steel welders. We had to pull him off the job & go the bolt thru route for our 20" by 7' housing between the 2 stalls. The entire space for the 2 stalls is only 9' by 16' so it certainly is unique. Time will tell as to how good the finished dog wash addition will be. None of the manifolds are done & I am kind of spooked by the way it appears like the shampoos flow a quite bit different than the way most car wash low pressure manifolds are set up. How they can get by without an injector & just draw the shampoo in the opposite direction of the little Kip solenoids' arrows seems very efficient but is beyond me. I will be in trouble if I have to experiment too much to make the chemical delivery portion to work along with all the other details.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Definitely keep us up to date. I am very intrigued to see what your setup will turn out like.

Etowah