What's new

Overhead Lighting

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions for lighting my dog wash. I want the place lit up quite well. Would it be best (and most efficient) to go with some HO fluorescents? Any ideas?

MEP001

Reaction score
Take a look at these:

http://www.1000bulbs.com/High-Bay-Elite-Fluorescent-Fixtures/

They produce as much light per watt as the most efficient metal halides but don't lose their light output over time, and are rated for damp locations. They're much brighter per watt as 4- or 8-foot HO fluorescents, and the bulbs last twice as long.

Randy

Reaction score
How big is the Dog Wash room? How high is the ceiling? I think I?d use an enclosed H.O. fluorescent fixture like the Lithonia VRI.

Attachments

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
The room is 15 by 14 with 14 foot ceilings. I will have extrutech panels on all the walls and the ceiling with an aluminum storefront that will be all windows. I want the dog wash to be bright and inviting all hours of the day.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'll reiterate that the HO Lithonia fixtures aren't a great choice. I've replaced many of them with different fixtures because the ballasts don't last and the covers and clips that hold them deteriorate and break. You won't have people tampering with the bulbs with 14-foot ceilings or the overspray issues from the high-pressure spray, so you really don't need enclosed fixtures.

I've actually been surprised that people don't steal fluorescent bulbs at some of the washes I've seen. Some of the Coleman vac canopies have four 8-foot single-pin bulbs completely exposed and easily within reach by standing on the vac island. I've asked numerous operators and none have ever had bulbs stolen or vandalized.

Randy

Reaction score
In 26 years running 17 Lithonia VRI fixtures we?ve had to replace 3 ballasts and 5 diffusers, they were shot out with a pellet gun. We.ve never had to replace any of the clips. So Yup! With that poor track record, they must be a piece of crap I?ll never buy them again. I almost forgot they are on 24/7 in the winter.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
MEP001: I want alot of light in the room. For the size that we have it. What fixtures would you go with and how many?

Randy

Reaction score
If you want a lot of light put in 4 Surface mount 320 watt Scottsdale lights. That?ll light it up like the Second coming of Christ.

Shorco1

Reaction score
In 26 years running 17 Lithonia VRI fixtures we?ve had to replace 3 ballasts and 5 diffusers, they were shot out with a pellet gun. We.ve never had to replace any of the clips. So Yup! With that poor track record, they must be a piece of crap I?ll never buy them again. I almost forgot they are on 24/7 in the winter.

Geez Randy, you got a bad deal. You should have listened to Mepp!

Randy

Reaction score
I know Shorco1, I got screwed when I bought those H.O fixtures. The ballasts should have lasted a minimum of 40 years and the diffusers should have been pellet gun proof. I guess you get what you pay for as the old saying goes.

I still think that Bubbles should install 4 - 320 watt MH lights. It would be nice and bright, warm from the heat of the lights. He could then paint a beach scene on the walls, put beach sand on the floor and you?ve got a place like no other in town.

MEP001

Reaction score
Enough of the smartass, sarcastic comments. I've given my opinion that I don't like the Lithonia fixtures, and if you want to debate it, do it like adults.

The Lithonia fixtures I've pulled down were 8' HO, if that makes any difference. The VRI are 4' from the documentation I've looked into.

MEP001

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore said:
MEP001: I want alot of light in the room. For the size that we have it. What fixtures would you go with and how many?
I'm hardly a lighting expert, but I would estimate by the rated lumens that two of the 6-bulb fixtures I mentioned would light the room very well. If you feel that spreading the light might be better, as you would get from 8' fixtures, you could go with 4 fixtures with fewer bulbs.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
That makes sense. I will probably be able to make a better judgement on it once I have it closed off.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you want a lot of light put in 4 Surface mount 320 watt Scottsdale lights. That?ll light it up like the Second coming of Christ.
No doubt at 1280 watts.

My SS bays with 4 two tube 4ft HO lights from gRAINGER EACH SPACED 1/3 of the way in from the ennd of the bay at about 10 ft high do very well and they total about 480 watts.

I think people don't steal the tubes from my coleman islands because houses don't use that type.

Shorco1

Reaction score
That makes sense. I will probably be able to make a better judgement on it once I have it closed off.

I've had my dog wash for 5 years. You will not make a lot of money but the operating costs are minimal. The walls are painted a cream white with two 4 ft. double fluorescent fixtures which gives more than enough light. We commissioned a local artist to paint a wall mural of dogs taking a bath in an old time tub. We have numerous pictures of dogs which we bought a flea markets and junk stores. The room is heated and air conditioned for comfort. The meter box accepts both coins and bills. We installed coat hooks for customer coats. We installed vending selling various articles obtained from KleenRite. Wet dogs smell so we installed a mist freshener to mask the wet dog smell. If you're not going to air condition I would suggest an exhaust fan on a timer or sensor to shut off after customer leaves. We put rubber non slip mats on either side of the tub. I bought a wet vac for easy clean up of dog hair on floors and tub. The room is alarmed and has a magnetic locking system to lock and unlock the door. The alarm system is also automatic. I hope this might help you in the building process. I wouldn't be too concerned about lumens, we are very happy with our present fluorescent lighting.

I have a retort for Mepps statement. Randy owns his carwashes and relies on his knowledge and ownership experience rather than the Goggle Button on his computer. His is a 6'4" adult and I think he will do very well in a debate

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
C'mon guys, cut MEP a little slack. He is an asset to the forum. He may not always be 100% right or in agreement with all of us, but he is seldom 100% wrong. Not everyone can be as perfect as me:D, you guys just need to accept that.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
You will not make a lot of money but the operating costs are minimal.
Please PM what you consider not a lot of money. I see what my self serve bays are doing right now and I will take whatever money I can make.

Sidenote: I appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks for all the help guys!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I question the need or wisdom for 14 foot ceilings. An easy and nice fix may be to install a drop / suspended ceiling at 10 feet or so with typical dropped ceiling fixtures that fit right in the grid. If you need HVAC for the room it will be easier to control the climate and ventilate. You could also put some ductwork for the HVAC and exhust fans above the ceiling. It is simple and inexpensive to do. However, the materia; for the panels should be the moisture resistant type or as I did in my tunnel washrooms I made my own by buying paeling used for bathrooms at the Home center and cutting 2'x4' pieces (or whatever isze was needed. to lay into the suspension grid.

Also FWIW in this size room I think Four 320W Scottsdales will give way too much light. In my tunnel exits which are about 15'x 40' I use 2 and in the double exit which is 30'x40' I have 4 and it is plenty with one long wall being glassboard and the other being windows.

MEP001

Reaction score
Earl Weiss said:
Also FWIW in this size room I think Four 320W Scottsdales will give way too much light.
It was Randy making a smart-ass dig at me because I like the light output from Scottsdales.

I would agree that a drop-ceiling might be a good idea - it can be insulated easily, where the exposed tin roof of the car wash bay would be very wasteful of heating and AC energy, and it would look nicer.