What's new

Oscillating motor

washnvac

Reaction score
Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the small oscillating motor/gear box combo on the Water Wizards? The little things are expensive, and ofcourse you just can't get the gear box. I recently had the gears break, and had to order the whole motor/gearbox combo. Local electric motor repair could not get gears, ofcourse.

Reds

Reaction score
A lot of the JCC parts are proprietary. Made just for them. I had to replace the motor that rotates the center blower on the gantry. The estimate to rebuild it was higher than the cost of a new motor ($369) due to special parts that had to be ordered from the manufacturer.

washnvac

Reaction score
Yes, I am aware a lot of parts are proprietary. Most manufacturers do that. I would not mind it, if they were not trying to rape us on those parts. I would not mind paying a little extra, but some of this stuff is just plain ridiculous. Fortunately, this forum provides expertise from across the country on these issues, and possible alternatives to the JCC parts.

MEP001

Reaction score
To be fair, they're not always just trying to rape you on parts. I agree that some of the proprietary parts some manufacturers have made are ridiculous when there are off-the shelf items that can do the job at a lesser cost, but often the reason proprietary ones cost so much more is specifically because they're custom made. Yes, they want you to have to buy parts from them, which is why they use them, but custom parts are almost always going to be more than mass-produced ones.

dclark3344

Reaction score
Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the small oscillating motor/gear box combo on the Water Wizards? The little things are expensive, and ofcourse you just can't get the gear box. I recently had the gears break, and had to order the whole motor/gearbox combo. Local electric motor repair could not get gears, ofcourse.
When you say the Gears broke I think you mean the roll pin in the shaft broke and allowed the pinion gear to slide on drive shaft. I have repaced the roll pin in mine several times. You disconnect the rocker arms, remove the 3 phillips screws on the side of the gear box, then the 3 machine screws that mount it to the motor. Pull the rocker arm drive shaft out and then slide the housing off the small pinion gear is not the motor drive shaft and generally shears the small roll pin holding it in place. This is much faster than trying to change the motor. I wash out the gear housing and put new gear lube in. Reassemble and back in business.