What's new

Optimum times for startup and bonus promotions

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Those laws must vary state to state. About 20 years ago we had stations here in Ky. offering discounts for cash. That went away after a very short while. I haven't seen ANY business offer different pricing structures since.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Last time I was at the bar they gave me an extra shot in my drink because I was paying and tipping with cash:D

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
They will roll them for a 10% fee. All of my local banks adhere to that policy, so I just roll them myself.

MEP001

Reaction score
Our bank takes them in bags of $500 without charge.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Our bank takes them in bags of $500 without charge.
Are they using the clear plastic bags or the cloth bag?
My bank has been making everyone switch over to the plastic bags.
So when I make a deposit I make the bank dump my quarters into the plastic and give me back the cloth bags.

MEP001

Reaction score

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I don't roll quarters nor bag them in $500 or any increments. A local bank has a coin machine that you just pour your coins into, and it counts them up and auto-deposits the money into your account. If you maintain a $500 balance there is no fee for using it.

He he. I now deposit quarterly--- and they have never said anything but I know they hate to see me coming. I overload the machine repeated times and they have to come change out their own bags, but it's incredibly convenient for me.

MEP001

Reaction score
Sequoia said:
I don't roll quarters nor bag them in $500 or any increments. A local bank has a coin machine that you just pour your coins into, and it counts them up and auto-deposits the money into your account. If you maintain a $500 balance there is no fee for using it.
Very few banks around here even have a coin-counter. Most will only take them rolled or bagged, and they send off the bags to be verified.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
We bring our quarters in the $1000 bag to a local armored car service center. They allow us to pull our vehicles into their facility out of site from anyone but them. They simply credit our bank account. Big burly guys with guns greeting you make it much safer too. We also purchase $1 coins from them the same way. They happen to be the same armored car service that our bank uses. Bringing them to a bank in full view of the public was a drag.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Thom how much does the armored car service charge?
The reason I don't use the plastic is that anyone can see what you're carrying. With the cloth they can't tell if it's pennies or quarters.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
The bank was charging us per bag we dropped off and per bag of $1 coin we picked up. The armored car company charges us $225 per month. No matter how many times we drop off quarters or pickup $1 coins it is a flat fee. We spend less than two to five minutes per visit which was way less than the hassle at the bank.

MEP001

Reaction score
$225 a month sounds like a lot - of course we only take 5 or 6 bags of quarters to the bank a month, and we don't buy any coins at all.

Doug P.

Reaction score
As I posted earlier all of my locations were at $1 for 2.5 minutes and 5 minutes of bonus time when you deposit a five . I changed one of my locations to $2 for 5 minutes and left the bonus time the same. The self serve income is up 6.1% year to date at the location I raised the startup price at. The automatic at this location is down about ten percent ytd. I have three locations in the next town over and the self serve income is down 8.3% ytd when you combine these locations. I guess I am going to raise the startup price at a couple of more locations.

Doug P.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
What kind of response did you get from your customers after you raised the price? There are two other competing washes in my town, but they are not well maintained or as nice as mine. I would like to raise the price, I am just concerned how my customers might react.

Doug P.

Reaction score
Bubbles,
I had a few people complain and leave when they saw the new price. A few complained and went ahead and washed. Most never said a word. I am a little more nervous about the price change where I have more competition but I am going to give it a try.

Doug P.