What's new

Opinions on national chains decreasing business of local washes?

CMDguy

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently I've been discussing with a friend on how private, national express car wash chains are basically taking over the industry. I know most people on here own their washes locally so I wanted input. My friend is in the works of buying a locally owned car wash with no big chains nearby, and I think it would be great to ask other wash owners their opinions on the boom in the industry.

Thanks,
Jack

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about it but they are definitely coming in a stealing the market from the independent mom and pos.

How many family owned burger places do you still see? Pizza has survived slightly better in terms of food.

Gas stations?

traveler17

Reaction score
It’s really getting annoying. One of my 2 is a really busy 4/2. Tunnel coming on another road behind behind 2 miles away, probably be open by end of summer. The annoying part is I heard it’s a lawyer building hence they know nothing about carwashing other than what distributors tell them. It’s a very pro “support local “ town so we will see how far that goes. Only part that makes me uneasy if he comes in and offers the $5 job like AAA “fins” washes do

washnshine

Reaction score
Only part that makes me uneasy if he comes in and offers the $5 like AAA “fins” washes do
I haven’t seen that pricing model in a while. It seems like the rock bottom $3-$5 single Wash model was taken over by the unlimited plans. I think it used to be prevalent in the south. At least I have not seen it in quite some time, and it was never really a thing around me. I hope everything works well for you.

traveler17

Reaction score
I haven’t seen that pricing model in a while. It seems like the rock bottom $3-$5 single Wash model was taken over by the unlimited plans. I think it used to be prevalent in the south. At least I have not seen it in quite some time, and it was never really a thing around me. I hope everything works well for you.
Thank ya sir I appreciate it. Yeah the only $5 wash I see here in SE North Carolina are the AAA fins washes.

Keno

Reaction score
...The annoying part is I heard it’s a lawyer building hence they know nothing about carwashing other than what distributors tell them...
Perfect for you to buy in a few years when the lawyer figures out this "passive income" is not all its cracked up to be and just wants out of the business at a loss on his end! (y)

traveler17

Reaction score
Perfect for you to buy in a few years when the lawyer figures out this "passive income" is not all its cracked up to be and just wants out of the business at a loss on his end! (y)
I thought the same thing. At least 3 million for this place. He’s not washing 200 plus cars a day in this town whatever the number is for him to break even

Thomas Miller

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently I've been discussing with a friend on how private, national express car wash chains are basically taking over the industry. I know most people on here own their washes locally so I wanted input. My friend is in the works of buying a locally owned car wash with no big chains nearby, and I think it would be great to ask other wash owners their opinions on the boom in the industry.

Thanks,
Jack
I am the one who is attempting to buy a local wash. The current system is a long Vector Rapid bay that has a tiny backroom and 3 self-serve bays. I have a few plans to bring this site to life. My first order of business is to rip out the vector and install a mini tunnel. 2 bays over I plan to put in a Laserwash 360 with most of the bells and whistles as I've had great experiences with PDQ. The Self Serve bay that is sandwiched between the new tunnel and the new Laserwash will be covered up with nice blue wood panels and turned into a new backroom that can fit the equipment for the tunnel and laser. The current smaller backroom will be remodeled into a nice attendant's office, and there will only be one self-serve bay remaining. For anyone wondering what the site currently looks like, a photo is shown below. I also do plan to do some renovations to the exterior, such as replacing the blue roof with nice shingles.
1684505172418.png
1684505193513.png
1684505220507.png

washnshine

Reaction score
The current touchless bay looks long enough for a mini tunnel- do you plan to add to it?

CMDguy

Reaction score
I am the one who is attempting to buy a local wash. The current system is a long Vector Rapid bay that has a tiny backroom and 3 self-serve bays. I have a few plans to bring this site to life. My first order of business is to rip out the vector and install a mini tunnel. 2 bays over I plan to put in a Laserwash 360 with most of the bells and whistles as I've had great experiences with PDQ. The Self Serve bay that is sandwiched between the new tunnel and the new Laserwash will be covered up with nice blue wood panels and turned into a new backroom that can fit the equipment for the tunnel and laser. The current smaller backroom will be remodeled into a nice attendant's office, and there will only be one self-serve bay remaining. For anyone wondering what the site currently looks like, a photo is shown below. I also do plan to do some renovations to the exterior, such as replacing the blue roof with nice shingles.
View attachment 8458
View attachment 8459
View attachment 8460
Your business plan is great! I look forward to you getting things moving!

Thomas Miller

Banned
Reaction score
That's a clean wash!
Are you planning to convert to express model, with free vacs?
Not quite to an "Express" model per say as it's going to be a 53 foot tunnel, and one of the SS bays will be getting a laserwash.