What's new

Opinion on this vac motor from Kleen-Rite

chaz

Reaction score
I've been using the VMK19 (K/R) vac motor for many years. No problems come to mind, and yes a nice price.

Eric H

Reaction score
Can the brushes be changes on this model? I had some motors that looked similar, forget where I got them, but the motor brushes required soldering to replace. I tried once or twice to change the brushes without success.
I have been using the Domel motors from Windtrax for 4-5 years and couldn't be happier. Better suction than other motors I've used and easy to change the brushes

chaz

Reaction score
I'd assume one can replace the brushes in these motors. It's been so long since I replaced any brushes I don't remember if it was this motor or not. I've never had great luck with longevity with brush replacements compared to the time to check the brushes for wear and reassemble. I figure by the time a motor goes out, it really doesn't owe me anything.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Can the brushes be changes on this model? I had some motors that looked similar, forget where I got them, but the motor brushes required soldering to replace. I tried once or twice to change the brushes without success.
I have been using the Domel motors from Windtrax for 4-5 years and couldn't be happier. Better suction than other motors I've used and easy to change the brushes
Yes if you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see the brush kit. They are fairly easy to do once you get the hang of where to place the tool that comes with them. We have been using them for quite some time now and they are relatively reliable.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I also use the VMK19. Same as others, no problems with this motor.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I use it because it is pretty much the only one that fits my older D&S vacs. I don't have any issues with them. Couldn't tell you about the brushes, never changed one in my life.

vinh

Reaction score
I like the kleenrite vac motor a lot. All I need is a long nose pliers and can change brushes in 1 minute each. I can get 3 to 4 brushes usage out each vac motor. I use them in Jim coleman and fragramatics without problems.

I use it because it is pretty much the only one that fits my older D&S vacs. I don't have any issues with them. Couldn't tell you about the brushes, never changed one in my life.

Randy

Reaction score
Those motors are made by Electrolux and they are a pretty good motor, I’ve used them for a number of years with no problem. Changing the brushes is a snap if you follow the directions. You don’t want to mix and match your vac motors, you want to use the same motors that pull the same amount of CFM’s.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I'd assume one can replace the brushes in these motors. It's been so long since I replaced any brushes I don't remember if it was this motor or not. I've never had great luck with longevity with brush replacements compared to the time to check the brushes for wear and reassemble. I figure by the time a motor goes out, it really doesn't owe me anything.
Chaz & others,

I wonder if anybody besides us has run 2 vac motors with brand new brushes in series that allow them to run at half voltage for breaking in & seating of the brushes. I am not saying that this is the way to go ... but throwing it out here for the sake of discussion. I believe Lamb Ametek had that as part of their instructions when installing new brushes. I think the time for the half voltage was 30 minutes if I remember right. If new bearings or bushings were put in maybe it would have the exact same life as new vacuum motors then??? If the brushes are allowed to wear down too far it probably could pit the commutator ... not sure ...?

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

MEP001

Reaction score
Chaz & others,

I wonder if anybody besides us has run 2 vac motors with brand new brushes in series that allow them to run at half voltage for breaking in & seating of the brushes. I am not saying that this is the way to go ... but throwing it out here for the sake of discussion. I believe Lamb Ametek had that as part of their instructions when installing new brushes. I think the time for the half voltage was 30 minutes if I remember right. If new bearings or bushings were put in maybe it would have the exact same life as new vacuum motors then??? If the brushes are allowed to wear down too far it probably could pit the commutator ... not sure ...?

You bring this up every few years. Amerek brushes used to come with instructions on "seating in" new ones by running them half voltage for 30 minutes. Can you find a motor or set of brushes that still says this?

Of course it pits the commutator if the brushes are worn completely down.

Randy

Reaction score
For a $30 vac motor I wouldn’t waste my time seating in the brushes. We consider a $30 item to be a consumable, meaning when it can’t be repaired quickly with new brushes it goes into the dumpster.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I recently purchased a few brush sets for the VMK19. I thought I would give it a try the next time a motor fails...Pretty cheap if it doesn't work. But like Randy said, its a consumable and Vac motors last a long time.

MEP001

Reaction score
I recently purchased a few brush sets for the VMK19. I thought I would give it a try the next time a motor fails...Pretty cheap if it doesn't work. But like Randy said, its a consumable and Vac motors last a long time.
If you keep an eye on the brushes and replace them before they wear down completely, you will get more life out of the motor.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you keep an eye on the brushes and replace them before they wear down completely, you will get more life out of the motor.
Therein lies the question vis a vis value of time and increased value of Brush replacement. Does it increase the life by 50%? 100%? How much time does it take you or an employee who could be doing something else(If nothing else to do then there is no incremental cost) from the moment you start gathering tools and supplies to the moment you put stuff away (Plus of course the cost of the brushes including Shipping)

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I agree with Earl. If a set of brushes increases the motor life another 50%, you are a whopping 12 bucks ahead, since the brushes cost $3. Economically, this is barely more profitable that rooting through the dirt for change. Seriously, can't you guys find more productive things to do around the wash?

Eric H

Reaction score
I agree with Earl. If a set of brushes increases the motor life another 50%, you are a whopping 12 bucks ahead, since the brushes cost $3. Economically, this is barely more profitable that rooting through the dirt for change. Seriously, can't you guys find more productive things to do around the wash?
I take a few hours each fall to take the covers off all 25 of my vacs to quickly look at the brushes and check that the light bulbs are still lit. If the brushes are more than 60% worn I replace them. I also check the gaskets at the same time. By taking the time to do a quick inspection I nearly eliminate down time on vacuums and help insure that I am not trying to fix a vacuum on a day that is well below freezing. I have more productive things to do when it is 8 degrees out than fixing vacuums and sending out customer refunds for $1.25.
I'm not saving money on vac motors but saving my time and energy for more important things

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I follow Eric H's reasoning for using efficient disciplined methodology & preventing vac going down unexpectedly for a customer. One thing I might add is that if an operator has manpower doing whatever in a visible presence way at the business ... that person is also somewhat on standby for customers ... that he or she might not otherwise be.

I am repeating myself here but we find that periodically putting the 4 filter bags in one of our trusty heavy duty Wascomat Gen4 washing machines along with making sure the gaskets are in great shape ... makes it so customers notice that our vacs tend to suck better than our competitors.

chaz

Reaction score
I guess that preventive maintenance each fall works for you.

I test each vac every day, and I can quickly determine if there is an issue with motor, clogged hose, dirty filter, blocked screen, etc. I can do this by feal of the suction. I can also see of a bulb is burned out if the dome is not lit. Anytime I remove a dome, I clean it and change out the bulbs.....though I will soon proactively change all the bulbs to LED and clean the domes at the same time.

I just don't see the value in checking brushes and replacing at 6O%, no matter what you will have equipment fails from time to time...even with daily testing, a motor or other issue will come up. I personally don't call for small refunds, but any customer that calls gets a refund in the mail or on sight.