What's new

Operations Manual

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is creating your own operations manual for detailing a worthwhile idea? It would be time consuming for sure and would need to be updated as needed forever, I think.

Is it something that makes training that much better? Does it make the business more valuable?

Is it better to buy something already in place and adapt it to your own operation specifically or create your own from scratch?

I'd like to do this but it's a big task and I want to be sure I'd benefit enough from having it to make it worthwhile.

Thanks!

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
If you look on twitter, there is a member on there called mirror finish who sells his detailing manuals at quite a price. I'm sure there is some valuable information in there, but I couldn't justify the price.

chadrpalmer

Reaction score
depending how big an operation it is, i would definitely consider it...it works well for us, and is an invaluable tool in holding employees accountable...every detailer must complete the workbook before touching a car, and from there on forward can never claim "i didnt know"

pitzerwm

Reaction score
IMO, you need training manuals for your employees, whether you buy one or create it is up to you. Both will cost money. With that you HAVE to create procedures for each step, make your people learn your procedure first, then if they can show you where their procedure is better than yours (which can happen) then you can decide on a change but until then they will use yours. You can speed up a procedure, not random thoughts processes.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
The worth of any plan is in how it is implemented and changed as needed.

Ideally, an operations manual would address roles and responsibilities and all standard procedures for operating a business or program in an efficient and effective manner.

Roles and responsibilities should include opening, closing, daily, weekly and monthly duties. The procedural part of the manual should address menu of services, staffing and scheduling, sales process, standardized work, quality control and quality assurance, methods and techniques for monitoring labor, sales and production, use of materials, supplies and tools, maintenance and safety.

I have developed manuals for use in both the public and private sectors. Yes, it can be time consuming to develop one. Are they useful? An operations manual can be an invaluable management/training tool or it can end up collecting dust on a shelf if it is paid lip-service.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
BRAND YOURSELF... and YOUR Operation

I agree with having an operations manual... or a process & procedures guide... or a business handbook... or a.... "something in writing" guideline. Essentially, everyone needs a fairly comprehensive how-to-do-it guide to maintain a consistent standard.

As to whether you out-source it... or write it yourself, you have 2 basic choices that require a decision on your part. Do you want to follow a plan designed and edited by someone else... or would you prefer deciding on how YOU want your particular business to operate, which requires that you create or compile your own?

Most operations manuals consist of both outside info as well as your own individual tailoring. The process requires a lot of cherry-picking from many other manuals and product & process guidelines. When "sharing", be careful not to violate copyright laws that protect intellectual property in the marketplace. :rolleyes: Chances are, if your intent is to use and control the document for in-house administration and training only, you'll be fine.

However, if you plan to provide the finished product to any 3rd party, be very very careful because most of the guidelines were originated elsewhere and paraphrased by many others along the way. I've seen many of the things I've personally authored for clients shamelessly included in other publications as recommended benchmarks, leaving the violator open to potential litigation. I mention that because all written documents often have a long and circuitous lifespan; especially operations manuals. So, if you write it yourself, take the easy steps to protect it from plagiarists. :eek:

(continue...)

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
BRAND YOURSELF... and YOUR Operation

My suggestion is to either write your own... or make a protected CD or DVD of "YOU" presenting your information verbally (and visually), with explanation and examples. Personalizing the information with your own "talking head" will provide much greater information transfer... and it makes you more approachable after-the-fact. It is much easier to protect, too.:D

Hope this advice is helpful... ;)

MEP001

Reaction score
smokun said:
or make a protected CD or DVD of "YOU"
There is no economical way of creating any sort of protected video disc.

soapy

Reaction score
You can go to the 3M detailing website and view a few detail training video's. Meguiars and others also have sections you can veiw that are free. They are pretty basic but a lot of good information is availible that is free.