What's new

One of SS's Greatest Generation has passed

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
Frank Piersall, one of self serve carwashing's Greatest Generation passed away last week. History should duly note that Frank was at the tip of our industry's pioneering spear. Jack Thompson may be most often credited with opening the very first coin-op SS in Ardmore, Oklahoma back in 1964. However, in that same year, Frank (a well credentialed engineer in his own right) engineered, built, owned and operated his own SS in Enid, Oklahoma.

Frank was then instrumental in further developing the SS concept in Southern California to where he moved in 1966 and came to own/operate at least 8 washes in the San Diego market. Frank's noteworthy accomplishments go well beyond his being a pioneering first generation SS carwasher. He was gratified that his son, Trey, had followed in his footsteps and joined the family business. But, understandably, Frank took great pride in his daughter's becoming a very hands on and handy operator who went on to be President of the Western States Carwash Association and then became the ICA's first female President. That "little lady" is the dynamo we all know as Lisa Lyons … Lisa Piersall Lyons.

A few days ago, Lisa let me know of her Dad's passing. The phrase "after a valiant struggle" is rather cliched in eulogies. But I know Frank's years long hard, painful struggle with kidney disease was certainly that. And, I must add --- whether you operators out there knew him or not, he really was one of the good guys who helped make this industry better for you and those who followed.

Rest in peace, Frank.

JJJ

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
JJJ,

Thanks for the announcement. I was down in San Diego in December to install a vendor for Lisa at her Vista wash and asked about her Father. She told me then he was not doing well. 'Tis a sad day. I, too, say Rest in Peace, Frank.

Uncle Sam

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Although I consider Lisa one of my best friends in the whole world, I had the pleasure of meeting Frank only once. Even then he treated me like an old friend. I had no trouble seeing where Lisa had come from. RIP, Frank and my condolences to Lisa, Trey, and Mrs. Piersall.

soapy

Reaction score
I remember the first WCA show I went to when I was first starting out I met Frank at the show. He took a lot of time to give this total green rookie a detailed education on the SS car wash business. Lisa and Trey also pitched in. It was always great to talk to him at all the shows. Very sorry for their loss and he will be missed.