What's new

On demand water heater storage tank

sparkey

Reaction score
I recently purchased a wash that has 2 on-demand water heaters that are piped to a storage tank with a thermostat that turns on a circulation pump to cycle water throught the 2 on-demand water heaters when the temperature drops. This is a small wash with 2 selfserve bays and 1 automatic. My question is: Is the storage tank necessary? It seems to me if you are going to store the water in a tank anyways its the same thing as a conventional water heater. Does anyone use on-demand water heaters without the storage tank?

bigleo48

Reaction score
I have 8 SS bays and 1 IBA, 2 petwashes. I have a total of 6 tankless waterheaters. I heat the process, floors and tap water. I do not own a tank. Defeats the purpose IMHO.

Big

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I have 36 palomas without any type of storage, and things work well without any storage. Is it necessary for you is hard to tell--They were perhaps trying to have instant hot water for the automatic wash. It may work just as well without the storage.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
on-demand with a storage tank = oxymoron.
my guess is that the on-demand heater didnt have enough capacity, so they added the storage.

MEP001

Reaction score
PaulLovesJamie said:
my guess is that the on-demand heater didnt have enough capacity, so they added the storage.
Either that or it was just cheaper to do that than to buy a boiler.