What's new

Old contactor issues

Scott.Downey

Reaction score
We have a contactor that keeps sticking together causing the pump to run without water. I feel i need to replace but googling the part # i basically get nothing. Is there a modern version of this ?

Attachments

Keno

Reaction score
Would recommend spending the couple extra bucks to get made in USA contactor

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Would recommend spending the couple extra bucks to get made in USA contactor

Any brand recommendations for USA made? Even the Square D is made in China.

Never a bad idea to get an overload.

Ive been buying Fuji Contactors/overloads at automation direct and theyve been good so far.

Last edited:

Keno

Reaction score
Any brand recommendations for USA made? Even the Square D is made in China.

Never a bad idea to get an overload.

Ive been buying Fuji Contactors/overloads at automation direct and theyve been good so far.
I used to get Titan Max contactors, but no longer made in USA. Some of the Eaton stuff is still made in USA.

Is the Fuji stuff made in Japan?

Keno

Reaction score
Made in China, It sounds Japanese though so that's cool, right?
Make it sound Japanese, nice marketing... on some serious note, I've had good luck with the stuff I've bought from automation direct. Usually it's free overnight shipping for me too, they are like 40 minute drive from me, which is a plus.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Make it sound Japanese, nice marketing... on some serious note, I've had good luck with the stuff I've bought from automation direct. Usually it's free overnight shipping for me too, they are like 40 minute drive from me, which is a plus.

Automation direct is an impressive company. I've used their proximity switches and cables as Turck replacements with excellent results. They have competitive pricing on everything and their shipping is super fast.

I took a PLC class there 15 years ago and we toured the facility and met the CEO at the time. He was a tech geek straight out of the movie "nerds" . His office was decorated like the bridge on the starship enterprise.

KFPanda

Reaction score
Automation direct is an impressive company. I've used their proximity switches and cables as Turck replacements with excellent results. They have competitive pricing on everything and their shipping is super fast.

I took a PLC class there 15 years ago and we toured the facility and met the CEO at the time. He was a tech geek straight out of the movie "nerds" . His office was decorated like the bridge on the starship enterprise.
Which amp range for Cat pumps? I need a couple on hand

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We have a contactor that keeps sticking together causing the pump to run without water. I feel i need to replace but googling the part # i basically get nothing. Is there a modern version of this ?
If the relay contacts have too low of an amperage rating ... from first hand experience over the years ... it will tend to cause sticking.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Which amp range for Cat pumps? I need a couple on hand
20 amp for 3HP, 30 amp for 5, but I see no issue with using 30 AMP for everything.

I used this one on my diskin blowers:

This is the overload I used, I sized it based on Diskin's nameplate but quickly found out that when the trigger isn't pulled on the blower gun the amps spikes beyond this range.

Last edited:

Keno

Reaction score
Those overloads look very similar to the eaton ones that are way more $. Wonder if they would fit into eaton motor starters as replacement

mgmtoo

Reaction score
The sticking you talk about is burnt contacts. That is an OLD contractor. A simple 2 pole 30 amp contractor from any HVAC supply house would be fine. Make sure the coil voltage is 24volts. Your looking at less than $25.00 for that part.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
This HVAC instructor does a good job with a lot of topics. Here's a class on contactors for those that want to learn more.