What's new

Old car washer

Don B.

Reaction score
Hi.
I’m a new-old forum guy. I use to be on this forum many years ago, back in the early to mid-2000s. I think it’s the same forum. I actually met the guy that started this forum at a car wash convention. I can’t remember his name now. I built a seven bay self serve in 97 and added a touchless auto in 2001. It’s still running today. I bought a Wash World Hi Velocity. In fact when I bought it, they told me it was the third machine that they built. They actually started out rebuilding laser 4000s and selling them. Soon after, they started building new machines. They had not yet designed their own computer for them. So you bought a new machine minus the computer. You had to buy a computer from PDQ for a laser 4000 and install it in their high velocity machine. I guess I’ve got a high velocity – laser 4000 hybrid. They basically just copied a laser 4000. I’ve probably rebuilt this machine over the years. I still use the old treadle plate. Probably rebuilt it four or five times. But my customers are so use to it. I actually installed the machine myself. When I bought it, all I got was a machine. Not much technical help. There was a fella name Galen and I believe his last name was Haddock, who owned a couple of car washes in Missouri. He frequented the forum back then and help me out a lot while I was installing it. He was a good guy. In fact he sent me an owners manual, as he had a couple of laser 4000s.
I think he got out of the carwash business. The machine is absolutely wore out, but I keep fixing it. It’s paid for, many times over! Can’t justify installing a new one. I’m 60 years old and I’m too tired to do that. If I can keep it running a couple of more years I’ll probably be done. 90% of my problem calls are from the automatic. Pretty stressful keeping an automatic going for 20 years. Start to leave on a trip or go somewhere for the day, phone rings automatic is down. Don’t know how many times that’s happened! Or be on vacation and you’re hired helper calls and can’t figure out the problem. So you have to deal with it while you’re on vacation. In fact, the last two or three years when I go on vacation for a week, I just close the carwash down. It’s nice, I actually enjoy vacations without having to worry about the carwash or getting calls! Owning a carwash is like taking care of a child. You can’t leave it by itself for very long! I had to keep it going, my livelihood depended on it. That’s all I do for a living! It’s been a really good one. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard this question, and you guys probably have two, or at least the ones that do it full-time. Is that all you do for a living? I just smile and say -yeah, that’s ALL I do! Just go by and collect the money! If people only knew!

soapy

Reaction score
Bill Pitzer started the forum around 1995 I think. He sold it to Jackson a few years back. Pat is one of the original members here and is now the Justice of the peace for the forum. I ran 7 automatics for 15 years but have cut back to 5 automatics now. I am also 60 and this is what I have done for my living for 28 years now, just showing up and collecting quarters.....

Don B.

Reaction score
Bill Pitzer started the forum around 1995 I think. He sold it to Jackson a few years back. Pat is one of the original members here and is now the Justice of the peace for the forum. I ran 7 automatics for 15 years but have cut back to 5 automatics now. I am also 60 and this is what I have done for my living for 28 years now, just showing up and collecting quarters.....
Bill pitzer, that was him! Actually I first got on the forum probably in 97.
It was pretty new then. I vaguely remember some of the names on here. That’s a lot of automatics to take care of!

Randy

Reaction score
Galen Haddock sold out about 8 years ago or so. He's in the wine business now.

Don B.

Reaction score
If you bought a brand new razor you could wash twice as many cars and get 1/100 of the maintenance calls!
Yes ,your right. I have thought about replacing the machine with a new one. Really don't want to do it at 60. If I can make it last a couple more years I think Ill be done. Maybe semi retire, pull out the auto and do SS bays only. I have a really good SS business. Much easier to work on. SS is my biggest revenue. Always has been. My auto is not a huge producer (it use to be). There are 4 other autos in my town of 11,000. 5 total with mine. At one time, just a few years ago, there was 7 total auto's. It was a double stand alone auto. Couldn't make it, just to many. Still to many!

MEP001

Reaction score
Have you considered pulling out the auto and leasing the bay to someone? I know a few people who have done this, and they sometimes have the renter take care of the day-to-day stuff like cleaning and changing a broken hose.

Don B.

Reaction score
Have you considered pulling out the auto and leasing the bay to someone? I know a few people who have done this, and they sometimes have the renter take care of the day-to-day stuff like cleaning and changing a broken hose.
Lease the bay, do you mean to a detailer or something like that?

Don B.

Reaction score
Lease the bay, do you mean to a detailer or something like that?
It was originally a ss bay. I would probably convert it back to ss. I still have the booms, and the wiring for the meter box is still there. It wouldn’t take a lot to convert it back.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I've been around a long time, but not an original. I found the forum in 2000 IIRC. I sold my washes 2 years ago and am now a professional Pop-Pop and as Soapy said, forum JP.

Etowah

mac

Reaction score
Sold my last wash recently. Made a tidy profit, thank you very much. Will concentrate on bringing old washes up to date and have a good project close by. I’ll be the one in the lawn chair under the umbrella.