What's new

OHD circuit breaker tripped. Can't reset.

vinh

Reaction score
I got US 2001 OHD with a tripped breaker that is Q1 breaker. The breaker is yellow and tripped. Try to push and reset but it get tripped again. I believe the Q1 is high impact pump. Does this mean I have a bad pump. thanks ahead.

soapy

Reaction score
You must have a shorted wire somewhere. It could be 2 wires that have rubbed through or a shorted motor. i would look up all the functions that run through the Q1 circuit and start disconecting them one at a time until you can reset the circuit breaker. Then you will find the scource of the problem. Ryko will run several things on one breaker and normally takes some trial and error to find the bad electrical part.

vinh

Reaction score
that make sense soapy. there is a lot of wires to that circuit. the gantry seems to move without trouble . I just hope it is not the main pump. that looks expensive to repair. Have you got one fix or broke on you yet.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Vinh-

Q1 is for the High Impact pump motor, as for the motor or pump yeah they are not cheap, the pump and motor have to be running for it to trip, more then likely you are going to have to replace that breaker/overload.

Wally

Reaction score
Not necessarily Diamond Wash. The breaker is only doing its job. When the problem is solved the breaker should be fine. You could take the belt loose from the motor to the pump or just loosen is quite a bit and then see if the motor will run. If it won't run without a load on it then it is probably shot. If it does run then you have a pump problem. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Etowah

soapy

Reaction score
The pump on a OHd is direct coupled. If you look at the pump and motor you will see a sliver cover held on by a couple of screws between the two. Take the cover off and you will see the motor coupled to the pump shaft. Reach in with a pipe wrench or channel lock pliers and try moving the shaft back and forth. If it turns freely then the pump is probably fine but you might have a problem with the motor. If the pump and motor will not turn freely you may have something wedged in the pump not letting it turn. Since it is a rotary pump you might have debris wedged inside. Move the shaft back and forth and see if you can free it up. The OHD pump has a 5 year warranty on it from the factory so you may still be covered. I have also seen the contactors get burned and cause the circuit to trip out. Try smelling the motor contactor for a burned smell. You might be able to clean the contactors and get it running until you can replace the contactor.
You can test the contactor by turning off the power and pulling each power wire off the load side of the contactor. Then turn the power back on and trigger the pump. The contactor should pull in freely if it does not and trips out the breaker you have a bad contactor. I would also follow the wires from the contactor all the way to the pump and make sure you don not have any wires rubbed through making a direct short. Smell the pump motor also. I often follow my nose when I have electrical problems right to the scource of the problem.

randy64

Reaction score
When does the overload trip as soon as the pump is turned on or before yyou turn it on? what is the overload set at? will it trip with the motor wires disconnected (no load)? have you put a amp probe on it to see how many amps it draws? answer these questions and you will have your answer by the way I've only seen one grunfos pump go bad there pretty tough generally its the contactor or overload. Also be careful this circuit will kill you if you screw up, maybe you should have somebody who knows what they are doing troubleshoot this problem for you.

vinh

Reaction score
I have not been able to reset the system to run the wash. The arm was in high impact mode when overload was trip. Arm was stuck in left side of car. I reset arm but can get the wash to start because of the tripped overload. Unfortunately I am away from wash this weekend and can't get to wash until Tuesday. I let everyone updated. thanks for response.

vinh

Reaction score
wash back up and running. Turn out to be the Q1 overload protector. The push to reset switch would not reset the yellow trip bar. The contactor was OK. Motor and pump turned easily and with voltmeter was OK. Had to get my distributor out to fix it becuase I run wash from another state. Only problem is they got a used overload protector from a used machine.

Should I buy a new overload and replace the used one at later time. The distributor only seen this break twice in his 3 years servicing.

thanks all yall input. I learn a lot during this breakdown.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
wash back up and running. Turn out to be the Q1 overload protector. The push to reset switch would not reset the yellow trip bar. The contactor was OK. Motor and pump turned easily and with voltmeter was OK. Had to get my distributor out to fix it becuase I run wash from another state. Only problem is they got a used overload protector from a used machine.

Should I buy a new overload and replace the used one at later time. The distributor only seen this break twice in his 3 years servicing.

thanks all yall input. I learn a lot during this breakdown.
A used overload should be fine.

vinh

Reaction score
i just got the bill for this problem. $65 for 1hr drive to wash. $72.50 for first hour to find problem. went to there location to get used overload protector off used machine and came back to install the overload which was another hour charge ($72.50). I was told I would get 50% off price for used part. Overload charge is a fat $229.29. that would make a new overload protector $460. that is crazy. I calling to inquire about this on Tuesday. I found the same allen bradley c85 amp protector for $120 new online. Hopefully they accidently charge me for a new overload. Rykopro what would have been your charge for this?

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
i just got the bill for this problem. $65 for 1hr drive to wash. $72.50 for first hour to find problem. went to there location to get used overload protector off used machine and came back to install the overload which was another hour charge ($72.50). I was told I would get 50% off price for used part. Overload charge is a fat $229.29. that would make a new overload protector $460. that is crazy. I calling to inquire about this on Tuesday. I found the same allen bradley c85 amp protector for $120 new online. Hopefully they accidently charge me for a new overload. Rykopro what would have been your charge for this?
We charge a flat rate trip fee depending on your location (most are $56.00). Our labor rate is 58.00 if you are a chemical customer and 68.00 if you are not. I normally charge less than 50% for a used part. What is the part # of the overload? I can tell you what list price is.