What's new

Offering one service instead of three?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What do you think about the idea of my detail shop advertising only a full detail ( wax and full interior clean), instead of 3 packages?

The problem we run into is customers booking a mini detail when they need a full detail and my employees spending too much time and materials, thereby reducing the profit ( or eliminating profit altogether on some cars).

My thought process is that if a customer only wants a quick interior and a wash then we would ask to see the vehicle first. Then, if it qualifies, we would take a pre-set %age off the cost of a full service. Same with a wax, vacuum, window wash vs. full detail. Price would be full-service minus, say, 10%, and only if the car qualifies.

FYI full details account for 90% of our annual business.

washnshine

Reaction score
Waxman,

With the full detail at 90% of your revenue, you are probably safe. Would you consider maybe separating it into a full interior and full exterior, so they can get inside only, outside only , or both, but either way, it includes very service?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
that's essentially what we do now; separating the exterior and interior if the customer chooses that. The issue for me is when we do the interior service we always include an exterior wash. Sometimes the exterior wash, which includes wheels and tires cleaned, tire shine, door jams washed and detailed and under hood Cowell area at least rinsed I'm practically at the full amount of labor it takes to do the full detail.

Maybe I should just eliminate my mini detail which is essentially a hand wash vacuum and window cleaning.

washnshine

Reaction score
that's essentially what we do now; separating the exterior and interior if the customer chooses that. The issue for me is when we do the interior service we always include an exterior wash. Sometimes the exterior wash, which includes wheels and tires cleaned, tire shine, door jams washed and detailed and under hood Cowell area at least rinsed I'm practically at the full amount of labor it takes to do the full detail.

Maybe I should just eliminate my mini detail which is essentially a hand wash vacuum and window cleaning.
I see - that makes sense. Sometimes less is more and streamlining might be the way to go for you. Awesome that you are already at 90% for the full though.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Hard to comment on the profit/loss of such a change without lots of numbers, but based on your post it appears to make an awful lot of sense to eliminate it. At the very least I like the way you are thinking.

I view my SS bays, vacs, & vending as separate businesses, consider the profitability separately and make business decisions separately. Yes obviously I know the synergisms etc... what I mean is that a "separate & distinct" perspective gives me different insights.
To me "detail" means full, apparently 90% of your customers agree. Your mini detail is more of a wash & vac, not unlike what I can get at a tunnel or express - ie part of your car wash business, not the detail shop. Im thinking that if I could offer a wash&wipe&vac as part of the car wash business Id do it, but not by appointment and eliminate it from the detail shop.

robbyf

Banned
Reaction score
detailing isn't necessity.

That being said we are in the business of customer service for serving their needs. Of course applicable if you remain profitable. Advertise what you want to sell, but I wouldn't back away from making money

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most of my customers either want the full detail or just the interior. Each package is priced to make a decent profit. The customer gets a slightly better deal for themselves if they choose the full detail.