What's new

Obama calls on GOP to pass Small Business Jobs Bill

Alan Bussey

Reaction score
Hello, everyone -

This is a short, and I believe interesting, video of President Obama making a 4-minute statement about a proposed new law to help with the economic recovery.

If passed and signed into law, the Jobs Act will have a significant and direct favorable impact upon car wash owners who are planning to expand their car wash business, and upon new car wash investors planning to construct or buy a new car wash.

In the video President Obama, speaking from the White House lawn on Thursday, August 19th, urges Congress to put aside partisanship and work together to pass the Jobs Act.

This bill is otherwise known as HR 5297. It is by all accounts the most important legislation that the Senate will consider prior to the November elections.

The Senate is scheduled to vote on HR 5297 on September 14th, the first vote that it will make upon its return from the August recess. Both houses of Congress have been considering the Jobs Act for more than three months. It has been reported upon many times in the national news.

This is the link to the video of President Obama's statement:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/38772235#38772235

This is a link to a summary of the Small Business Jobs Act. On this page is also a link to the bill (proposed Act) itself:

http://carwashloans.com/Summary_of_the_Small_Business_Jobs_Act.html

Alan Bussey

Alan Bussey

Reaction score
Obama Again Calls on GOP to pass Jobs Bill

Now that President Obama is back from his vacation, he again gave a statement about the Jobs Bill early this afternoon, Monday, August 30th at the White House.

The Jobs Bill is important legislation for car washers. Among other provisions the new Act, if passed, will eliminate the SBA Guarantee Fee for loans approved through December 31st under the most-popular program, the 7(a) program; and it will greatly reduce the fees for the second-most popular program, the 504 program. The Act will also allow much larger tax deductions for car wash capital expenditures.

The part of President Obama's statement most important to many car washers begins at the 2:40 mark - you can move the slider to the right if you wish to jump to that mark. The first link is to a C-SPAN video so, thankfully, there is no advertisement before the start of the statement.

http://www.c-span.org/flvPop.aspx?src=60days/wh083010_obama.flv&msg=You+are+watching+the+C-SPAN+Networks+LIVE&start=18.677&end=-1

If you want to see the video AND read the MSNBC news article about the President's statement use this link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38918309/from/toolbar#slice-2. You can scroll up to the news article while you are waiting for the statement video to start.

Alan Bussey

Last edited:

mac

Reaction score
There is so much mistrust of Obama and the current administration and congress, that it is hard to believe they will do anything to improve private business. I simply don't trust then when they say this is good for me.

Red Baron

Reaction score
There is so much mistrust of Obama and the current administration and congress, that it is hard to believe they will do anything to improve private business. I simply don't trust then when they say this is good for me.
That was my first reaction too. Obama doing something pro-small business isn't in his DNA. Anything he says at this point leads me to believe he's saying it with Nov 2 in mind and he'll yank that rug out from under us Nov 3...or as soon as his thugs have finished their vote recounts of the close races.

If Obama told me September follows August, I'd need to get out my calendar and verify it.

JIMT

Reaction score
This is just one more step in Obama taking over control of U.S. businesses and banks. Also, the bill is proposed so that Republicans will vote against it and Democrats can use it in the November election.
We don't need new laws we need less regulation and taxes. Get the government out of our lives.
JIMT

Red Baron

Reaction score
This is just one more step in Obama taking over control of U.S. businesses and banks. Also, the bill is proposed so that Republicans will vote against it and Democrats can use it in the November election.
We don't need new laws we need less regulation and taxes. Get the government out of our lives.
JIMT
You're obviously a greedy rightwing extremist racist anti-muslim homophobe. :)

When you can't trust a guy, you can't trust him in anything he says or does. When Obama became known as a liar, everything he says is suspect.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
A moment of truth--My wife ran into our 83 yr old farmer neighbor. He is life long democrat, he fought in WW II and had two sons in Vietnam lost one to agent orange cancer). That experience has brought him to be against any war not on our land --I 'm sure it is difficult to think through things in balanced way with that experience. He and one grandson voted for Obama--yesterday he told Mary he had voted for Obama and is sick that he did. I'm sure he is not alone.

Ted

JIMT

Reaction score
You're obviously a greedy rightwing extremist racist anti-muslim homophobe. :)

When you can't trust a guy, you can't trust him in anything he says or does. When Obama became known as a liar, everything he says is suspect.
RedBarron,
I am very conservative. I am not a homophobe.
JIMT

Alan Bussey

Reaction score
Guys -

The Jobs Bill was originated in the House of Representatives by a Representative - a local guy. It has a number of parts contributed by both Republican and Democratic Representatives from a variety of House districts across the country. It also has parts contributed by a variety of Senators.

The Jobs Bill, if enacted into law, will help foster job creation, will help improve the economy, and will likely improve the cash flow of car washes nationwide, perhaps including yours. But first we have to get the Jobs Bill passed by the Senate on September 14th.

This is a link to a summary of the Small Business Jobs Act. On this page is also a link to the bill (proposed Act) itself:

Alan Bussey

Red Baron

Reaction score
Guys -

The Jobs Bill was originated in the House of Representatives by a Representative - a local guy. It has a number of parts contributed by both Republican and Democratic Representatives from a variety of House districts across the country. It also has parts contributed by a variety of Senators.

The Jobs Bill, if enacted into law, will help foster job creation, will help improve the economy, and will likely improve the cash flow of car washes nationwide, perhaps including yours. But first we have to get the Jobs Bill passed by the Senate on September 14th.

Alan Bussey
It may have had the best of intentions when developed, but I have little doubt Obama will find a way to manipulate it to the the betterment of unions and his other political creditors.

I don't trust Obama to do anything - I just want to see him lose control of Congree to neuter him until we can elect a real president in 2012. A lame dork president...errr, duck.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I'm all for some help with loans and taxes, but they will load the bill up with so much pork for the special interest people that it will cost us more than it will help. A 5% tax break that costs us an extra 10% in taxes to pay for is just alittle inefficient. How about we run the government like we all have to run our businesses. Cut costs, cut handout programs for the lazy, and don't tell everyone else how to run their business.

Alan Bussey

Reaction score
Lighthouse -

The links above allow you to read two summaries of the bill and the actual complete bill for yourself. I've been following HR 5297 (the 'Small Business Jobs Bill') for months. The pork, if there really was any, has come and gone - there is no pork.

Lighthouse, the Jobs Bill has been debated for months: It is 'front and center'. The Senate has hacked the bill down to the bare essentials needed to encourage the growth of small businesses. It is hoped that the growth of small businesses will expand the overall economy and put people back to work. The first vote on the bill is set for Tuesday, September 14th, the first day that the Senate returns to session from its August recess.

According to the Executive Office of the President: Office of Management and Budget, and according to the bi-partisan Congressional Budget Office this bill is "deficit neutral". More than 100 small business groups are strongly in favor of the Jobs Bill and there will soon be a major coordinated effort by these pro-business groups to encourage the Senate to pass this bill.

HR 5297 - the Jobs Bill - will be very good for car wash owners and for the car wash industry as a whole. I believe that all of us want to be in favor of the Jobs Bill, need to support it, and, if enacted into law will directly benefit from it.

Alan Bussey

Last edited:

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Give with one hand while the other is in your pocket. The health bill if unchanged will put more people out of business than this bill will ever put in business.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I am not familar with this bill but easy money is what caused the housing crisis and had more than a little to do with the overbuilding in the car wash industry.

Alan Bussey

Reaction score
Jimmy -

http://carwashloans.com/Summary_of_t..._Jobs_Act.html

Getting money for a car wash has never been 'easy', although it certainly was easier several years ago than it is now.

The problem is that at this time the volume of small business loans is way TOO low to keep the economy growing at a healthy pace, and the volume of loans is way too low to create very many jobs. Banks are the only institutions that 'create' money: More money doled out to contractors, equipment suppliers, and to newly opened businesses for new employees equals more jobs. More jobs equals more people able to more frequently wash their cars at their local car washes. The Jobs Bill is an important one for the car wash industry.

Alan Bussey

Last edited: