What's new

Nuclear verses Solar

mac

Reaction score
Saw some "protesters" and didn't know to laugh or cry. These were all twenty somethings thinking they were going to change the world and save the planet. (Here's a little tidbit. In about 2 billion years as our sun runs out of energy, it will grow into a giant red dwarf and literally swallow the planet.) So these poor souls are chanting about how solar is good but nuclear is bad. Well HELLO. Just what do you think solar is anyway? It's a byproduct of the nuclear fusion process that makes the sun shine and warm us. And here's the kicker, it is an uncontrollable reaction. All we can do is look at it. It's sad that science isn't taught much in the schools, and sadder to see how young inexperienced people can be so easily misled. I can not change the planet, but I can have another beer.

MEP001

Reaction score
All I know is that nuclear fusion and nuclear fission are very different.

mac

Reaction score
Fission is the process of splitting a large molecule, such as plutonium. That's relatively easy to do, but don't try it at home. Fusion is the process of forcing smaller molecules to combine into larger ones. It releases much more energy than fission. It ios also difficult to do this in a controlled manner. They are still working on it, and if or when they find a way, we will have energy out the wazoo.