What's new

Nu-Star Soft Touch 3 - Good or Bad?

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I have been approached about purchasing a Nu-Star Soft Touch 3. This unit (previously installed at an automotive dealership) was installed in June of 2004 and was taken out of operation in October of 2009. The unit was removed from the site in February of 2010, shrink wrapped and stored.

The car count upon removal of the unit is 057208 and was under a contract equipment maintenance program with Vohn Industries (SE Michigan).

The unit does not come with an auto cashier but appears to be in decent condition. The asking price is negotiable.

Let's hear any thoughts/questions/suggestions...

mac

Reaction score
There are some good deals out there on used machines. If you have a need for a friction unit, and you can get the price down, it might be good. As a starting offer, I wouldn't go more than 25% of new cost. And remember that even a free machine will cost you with freight, installation, utility upgrades, entry device, and sales tax. Good luck.

captain cw

Reaction score
The only nu-star units I've seen in operation are showing all kinds of rust on the frame and covers. Is it just painted steel? If so, I would not want anything to do it.

washnvac

Reaction score
Frames are epoxy coated steel. You do have to keep after any rust spots with touch up epoxy.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
www.carwashconsignment.com is a good place to look to see the asking prices on used equipment. There are some really good prices on used equipment, especially friction equipment on the site.

washnvac

Reaction score
Bubbles--looking at the plc control panel, this unit is probably only set up for one wash. There is a whole bunch of wires missing from the fused outputs. It should be no big deal to add stuff, but I would just be aware it looks like a very basic set up at this point. It is probably only pre-soak and a city pressure rinse system.

captain cw

Reaction score
worrying about rust is not my cup of tea. I'd look at some other units. I bought a ryko softgloss with 140,000 washes on it. Re-built it and it's been good as gold. Aluminum frame will last forever. It's a real workhorse with a proven history.

briteauto

Reaction score
This is the only three brush rollover without a guillotine-style top brush that I know of. I used to own a Hanna AutoStar, and it had a similar design - three brushes with a cantilever top brush that washed the front and the top. The side brushes only wrap around the back. I loved the machine, and it was a workhorse.

I wish more manufacturers would incorporate the cantilever top brush design into a three brush machine these days. I don't like the guillotine top brushes at all - too many chances for incidents - and actual incidents.

It seems like they could design three brush units with the straight axis side brushes to clean both the front and rear, but use a cantilever top brush.

Sorry for getting off topic - the price of the machine you are looking at is pretty darn good, but like previous posters have stated, it will take a bit to get it from "dealership" standards to "retail car wash" standards.

Good luck.

Mike