What's new

non sucking vacuum

jacksonmi8/2

Reaction score
I have a vacuum that isn't creating any suction. I cleaned it out (it wasn't that full) and then I opened the top and opened the clean out door to see if both motors were spinning and they were. Unfortunately this is the extent of my vacuum knowledge any ideas would be appreciated.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
One of your motors is probably dead. If you put your hand up to them you will probably be able to tell which one. The only other thing that comes to mind is if the door is not sealed properly.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
Check the motors again...be sure that one of them is not spinning due to suction from the other....it will spin at a slower rate...next activate the vacuum and then feel around any area around the cleanout door or any other possible opening to see if you can feel air being sucked from around seals. If you remove the hose do you have suction at the point where the hose connects if so then your hose may be clogged....the bags may also be dirty....clean those and replace.

MEP001

Reaction score
You could have a clogged hose - the cleanout door will be hard to pull open if this is the case.

Make sure to start the vacuum with the door open - as mentioned, the airflow pulling through a bad motor will make it turn, amd if you start the vac and open the door to look, both motors will appear to be turning.

Check the gaskets under the motors as well as the doors.

Etowah

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Do what MEP001 said in his first sentence "...clogged hose...". Sometimes we make the most simplest things complex. I don't know how many times I thought I had a bad motor, seal, dirty bag, and it turned out there was junk blocking the hose at one end or the other.

All the other suggestions are absolutely great troubleshooting methods. Before you tear things apart, open your cleanout door and check the hole where your hose comes in to the vac. You just might find some hair, paper, wrappers, gum, quarters, or woodchips clogging the way!

MikeV

Reaction score
Another thing to check are the screens under the motors. Sometimes they will collect dirt, lint etc. and not allow the motors to draw any suction. They can be cleaned by opening the top doors and cleaning them from there.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got a call from a customer Friday morning about low suction on one of my vacs. I checked the inside and hose first for obstructions and found none. I removed the top and though both motors were spinning, only one was operating. I removed the brushes in the dead one and they were totally smoked. Replaced and suction was back.

I love customers like this guy.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
If all else fails.
Check the hose for cuts in it.
I fill the hose in the bay with water to check it.
A small cut or two can sapp the suction big time.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
My order for a vac that doesn't suck (I'll leave the jokes alone now) but is running.) Go to next step if previous one does not solve problem.

1. Make sure door is closed. 2. Pull hose and feel if there is suction at vac. (If there is the hose is clogged - Panty hose are the worst to get out. If not look into vac openisng or stick something in there to make sure there is no clog. 3. If it is not an open door , clog at the vac, or hose, put some kleenex near the edge of the door andsee if it gets sucked toward the door, if it is, the seal or latches needs repair. 4. Still no good? Pull top and let run with door OPEN. If a motor is bad, with the door open, it will NOT be turning from the suction from the other one. 5. If motor needs to be replaced, make sure there is no debris in it or the screen under it. If there is clean working motor before it fails and check filter bags for holes. 6. If still No good, pull, wash, dry, replace filter bags.

jacksonmi8/2

Reaction score
It was a bad motor thanks for all of the replies. I thought the bad one didn't spin but it did spin this time only slower as alot of you said. Thanks again.

Patrick

raisetheprice

Reaction score
I had this same problem today, I have 3 motor Fragramatics and they'll run good down to 2 motors, but down to 1 it's dead, no suction. Changed two motors that were smoked. Customer called to tell me how I was letting the place go to hell because a vac didn't have suction. It made me feel really good as I always leave my phone in the car when at church on Sunday's. I got the guy's message afterward and fixed it pronto. Nice of him to leave me such and uplifting message over $.75. God Bless him.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Really want to make him mad raise the price to $1.00.
You have a 3 motor Fragramatic machine shouldn't you already be at least a$1.00.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Really want to make him mad raise the price to $1.00.
You have a 3 motor Fragramatic machine shouldn't you already be at least a$1.00.
I don't have the hand held programmer to change it. I need to buy one, it's on my list.

MEP001

Reaction score
Someone might be kind enough to loan you theirs - if I didn't use it weekly to get the coin counts off the timers I wouldn't have spent the $100 on one.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Try calling Fragramatics maybe they send you one as a loaner for a small charge.
Believe me the extra .25 will pay for a new one anyway.