What's new

non heated extractor

eda

Reaction score
I have an exterior wash and this year i want to do interior carpet treatments. before i spend $700-$2000 on a high quality heated extractor i want to see if i can generate some business first. i understand that heat with not to much water will do a better job. However, i can accept the fact that it will take longer, etc.......

I see mom/pop detailers that use some type of shop vac and such and they stay busy so it is being done.

Can someone recommend a brand, size, and other suggestions?

Thanks,
eda

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
thermax makes nice machines. check out detail plus also. there's mytee and galaxy, which I had and loved.

fwiw, my current ectractor is a used Thoromatic i paid $175 for. It was a cold water machine that I converted to hot water through the use of a electric hot water heating element(hardware store item, $17) and a junction box where it's wired in to a cord w/a plug. Works super.

jcedwards

lurker
Reaction score
The extractors with the Shur-Flo or Flojet pumps (100 psi type) do not really provide the deep cleaning because these pumps are so weak and cannot generate any real pressure.

Professional carpet cleaners use extractors with higher performance pumps like Pumptec. Your customers will be much happier if you use a 200 psi, heated unit than with a low performing system. The onboard heaters will give you great heat and terrific cleaning when combined with 200 psi.

Do not exclude U.S. Products from your extractor search, either.

DavidM

Reaction score
If you try a heated extractor you won't go back. It doesn't just take longer without heat, it doesn't clean as well.
If you aren't willing to spring for a heated extractor, I wouldn't bother trying to do express carpet shampooing. If the heating elements would fail on our carpet extractors I would stop doing express carpets until I could get hot water again.

The mom and pop detailers probably scrub with a foaming carpet shamoo then vacuum. You can get good results on lightly soiled carpets and upholstery but heavy soiling, spills, etc will require a good, heated extractor, IMHO.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A good quality hot water carpet extractor is a key element in any professional detail shop and should be considered as essential as shop vacs, buffers and orbital polishers and ozone generators in terms of tools required to complete professional jobs. That said, there are many options for purchasing one so you should get a feel for prices, establish your budget and pull the trigger.

I just booked a job for tomorrow; cat urine on the back seat of a Kia. Shampoo that w/out my extractor? No thank you!:D

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
I use a US Products with 210 degree instant heat.....I paid alot but it works like a champ.It also has two seperate vac motors for extra lift. Keep it out so customers can see it....it will help sell your services.

Danny

Reaction score
Galaxy makes a extractor that is cold water and the heater can be purchased later and mounts to the rear of the machine. This also makes it easy to replace if the heater fails in the future and you are not out your extractor it just becomes a cold water machine again until your replacement arrives.

Danny

Reaction score
The extractors with the Shur-Flo or Flojet pumps (100 psi type) do not really provide the deep cleaning because these pumps are so weak and cannot generate any real pressure.

Professional carpet cleaners use extractors with higher performance pumps like Pumptec. Your customers will be much happier if you use a 200 psi, heated unit than with a low performing system. The onboard heaters will give you great heat and terrific cleaning when combined with 200 psi.

Do not exclude U.S. Products from your extractor search, either.
You are right on about what professional carpet cleaners use. However they are in a larger building typically with multiple power sources available. If it is within a 100-150ft they use their truck mounted systems.

The main reason for 100 psi pumps, single 3stage vac with small 1000W (plus or minus) heaters has to do with amp draw. These units are intended to perform under 15 amps and on one cord so they can opperate on one breaker. By having a unit with a larger pump, vac setup, or heater the amp draw increases generally requiring 2 cords to be plugged into to 2 seperate breakers.

jcedwards

lurker
Reaction score
Oh Danny boy, the marginal amp draw of a 200 psi machine versus a 100 psi machine is 1 amp. The same machine is available with 200 psi and the 1000W heater, and does not pop a 15 amp circuit.
There are manufacturers that trick out extractors with 1500 and 2200 watt heaters with higher pressure pumps, and these require 2 cords (and 20 amp separate circuits), but the real amp difference between a 200 psi (Pumptec pump) and 100 psi (Shur-Flo) is actually less than 1 amp.

easywash

Reaction score
Costs?

just out of curiosity... how much do you guys charge to do a standard size car? Do you charge more for larger vehicles?

Thanks

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
should be a separate post i think. but...

Passenger cars; hand wax, interior shampoo/vinyl clean&dress, windows, jambs, tires/wheels etc. $149 and up. larger vehicles $169.

buffing = $50/hr, beginning w/taping up after clay treat and tar removal are done and ending when the wax is set to be applied.

i offer express aftercare services, too, which are $39.99 incl. carwash.

Danny

Reaction score
Oh Danny boy, the marginal amp draw of a 200 psi machine versus a 100 psi machine is 1 amp. The same machine is available with 200 psi and the 1000W heater, and does not pop a 15 amp circuit.
There are manufacturers that trick out extractors with 1500 and 2200 watt heaters with higher pressure pumps, and these require 2 cords (and 20 amp separate circuits), but the real amp difference between a 200 psi (Pumptec pump) and 100 psi (Shur-Flo) is actually less than 1 amp.
Absolutely right, the amp draw is only 1amp difference. Also as you said manufacturers have different size heaters and vacs with varying amp draws. This combination is generally where the second cord comes into play. As a safe bet 100psi pump, small heater and single 3stage vac you get a machine that gets the job done on one cord. If someone wants more performance the options are always there for bigger and better equipment.