What's new

No water thru pr1000

Etowah

Legacycarwash

Reaction score
Hello everyone

new to car washes. My brother has a 4 bay self serve one running cat pumps thru a pr1000. Trouble I’m having on 2 bays is no water pressure thru it. It I take the regulator off and energize the valves I get water. Put it together and nothing. If I remove the cap on the bottom of the pr1000 it has water pressure. I’ve tried searching and can’t find anything. Any tips for a newbie?
Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm familiar with those regulators, but I've never had that particular issue. Usually the cartridge erodes out and it no longer regulates, so the pump can't draw chemicals. There is a weep and a non-weep version - I don't know if the non-weep one will flow if there's no pull from the pump, but the weep one does.

Legacycarwash

Reaction score
I'm familiar with those regulators, but I've never had that particular issue. Usually the cartridge erodes out and it no longer regulates, so the pump can't draw chemicals. There is a weep and a non-weep version - I don't know if the non-weep one will flow if there's no pull from the pump, but the weep one does.

hmm. I tried replacing it with a new one and it’s the same. But it does say no weep. I guess i will reconnect it all and see. I was trying it without the pump going to make sure it had water to the pump.

Randy

Reaction score
Years ago I serviced a car wash with the PR1000regulator. Do yourself a favor and get rid of them they are junk, fought them for years. I replaced them with a Generant 4HC-500 regulator and a DEMA 203C injector.

Legacycarwash

Reaction score
Thank you MEP001. I went ahead and replaced the pump and bled it by hand. The water started flowing after that. If we keep those I think I might go for non weeping ones to make is easier to bleed.
Randy. I will look into those. Might be a good idea. This place definitely has had a lack of maintenance it I would love to make things simpler.

MEP001

Reaction score
The simplest setup is a water holding tank with a float valve plus the soap and wax feed that you already have. I tried the PR1000A regulators at a couple of car washes that had a small water tank for each bay. They were going through pump manifolds like crazy, not to mention the leaks. It worked great, but the regulators only lasted about six months. If the main core piece was made out of stainless steel, they'd probably be fantastic because the core wouldn't erode away and cause the o-ring to fail. Both the washes that I replumbed with the PR1000A regulators were eventually replumbed again with a single large holding tank, and it was a huge reduction in maintenance. It's the way probably 98% of car washes are set up.

Legacycarwash

Reaction score
S
The simplest setup is a water holding tank with a float valve plus the soap and wax feed that you already have. I tried the PR1000A regulators at a couple of car washes that had a small water tank for each bay. They were going through pump manifolds like crazy, not to mention the leaks. It worked great, but the regulators only lasted about six months. If the main core piece was made out of stainless steel, they'd probably be fantastic because the core wouldn't erode away and cause the o-ring to fail. Both the washes that I replumbed with the PR1000A regulators were eventually replumbed again with a single large holding tank, and it was a huge reduction in maintenance. It's the way probably 98% of car washes are set up.
so looking at what we have there are no holding tanks. There is one over head tank for soap and one for wax that gravity fees to the pr1000. But nothing for an individual bay. The brushes and tire shine are low pressure air powered units with 5 gallon feed tanks. So I’m definitely not understanding a single tank. Still have so much to learn!

MEP001

Reaction score
Your setup uses the PR1000A to supply the pumps with water. If you tried to send the city pressure to the pump, it couldn't draw the soap and wax because they're not under pressure. You can eliminate the regulators by adding another tank to let the pumps get their water, also at gravity pressure. You already have the soap and wax solenoids, so you would just need to tee those lines to the pump instead of to the regulator.