What's new

no need to change laser 4000 gearbox oil?

sterlingh20

Reaction score
I was talking to my tech and he said that in south texas there is no need to annually change the gearbox oil in all 3 gearboxes. He stated that since we don't have to switch from a summer to winter oil that the factory oil is very high quality and doesn't break down very quickly since the parts are not moving fast like in the HP pumps. He says he when he changes the oil it always looks brand new coming out of the gear box and doesn't smell burnt at all. Is it ok to go 3-4 years on gearbox oils?

lag

Reaction score
No.. I would always change the oil yearly.. Would you wait until your cars motor oil smelled burnt???

Why chance it?

jcollins

Reaction score
On the sites I do maintenance on, In a years time, the bridge gearbox oil will be extremely dirty, the trolley gearbox oil will be somewhat dirty and the arch rotate gearbox oil will still look clean.
I know many people that don't ever change the gearbox oil till they have to change the gearbox out, but that is reactive maintenance instead of proactive or preventive maintenance. You can change oil in all 3 gearboxes within 30 minutes and a qt. of the recommended oil will change oil in all 3 gearboxes twice.
The sites I take care of, I change the bridge gearbox oil every 6 months and then all three yearly. You should change the arch rotate gearbox even though it's usually clean because it sometimes can get water in it (if straight swivel had a leak). I've just changed a couple arch rotate gearboxes in the last couple weeks because they hadn't changed the oil in forever and the water inside the gearbox had the gearbox frozen solid (you can't get the ice/water out when it's 15-20 degrees).

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
jcollins, where'ya been. Since you hit the big 50 you haven't been around much. I guess when you get to be your age you have to get to bed a lot earlier, huh?

jcollins

Reaction score
lol
Hey Pat, I know some "other" people that's graduated the 50 mark too!!