What's new

No minivans allowd!!

sparkey

Reaction score
Is it just my area or are these vehicles trash cans on wheels which never need washing? I am willing to bet that over 80 percent of the minivans that enter my lot dump their large quantities of trash and leave without buying a thing. If they do buy anything it will be one vacuum cycle (which is usually because they know I am watching them). Its to the point where I watch every minivan that enters my lot and be ready to chase them down as they leave to give them the speech about dumping trash. I often wanted to post a sign "NO MINIVANS ALLOWD!"

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I give the same evil eye to plain white cargo vans. I always assume they are carpet cleaners just coming in to dump their tanks. Quite often I'm right.

MEP001

Reaction score
I see a lot of trash dumpers, seems like minivans are the worst culprits when they fill a 44-gallon Brute can half-full with fast food wrappers and empty soda bottles and don't even vacuum. I try to take note of the repeat offenders and note if their vehicle never looks washed, and after maybe three times seeing them do it I tell them it's theft of service.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
.... I try to take note of the repeat offenders and note if their vehicle never looks washed, and after maybe three times seeing them do it I tell them it's theft of service.
Seen this type of post before. Are signs posted that these services are only for paying customers? Do you have to tell them first before you call the cops.

Without either of those I would think you open yourself up for a maliscious prosecution case by trying to have someone arrested for using something held out to be free for the public.

MEP001

Reaction score
No signs, and I don't feel I need them since it's a city ordinance. I haven't had to call the police yet, although one guy called them on me when I wouldn't let him back up to the dumpster. The cops backed me up 100%.

gearhead

Reaction score
Vans are by far the worst culprits. If they do vacuum they suck up every kids meal toy into the hose and other assorted items until its plugged solid. (Funny how its always done after hours.) I just cant believe the level of disgustingness that people let stockpile in their vehicles. I can only imagine what their homes look like.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
No signs, and I don't feel I need them since it's a city ordinance. .
There is a city ordinance that commercial / retail trash can only be used by paying customers?

MEP001

Reaction score
There is a city ordinance that commercial / retail trash can only be used by paying customers?
Technically yes. It's illegal to use someone's trash facility (can or dumpster) without the owner's permission. Common sense should dictate to them that the cans are provided for paying customers.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
No signs, and I don't feel I need them since it's a city ordinance. I haven't had to call the police yet, although one guy called them on me when I wouldn't let him back up to the dumpster. The cops backed me up 100%.
I'm still chuckling about this, normal people would wonder what's wrong with that guy, but he was probably wondering what was wrong with you. I have to deal with people like that every now and then too.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Technically yes. It's illegal to use someone's trash facility (can or dumpster) without the owner's permission. Common sense should dictate to them that the cans are provided for paying customers.
Wow, there is a law against lack of common sense!

Frankly, without prior written or verbal notice I not only think it's a winner for the criminal defense, but for a maliscious prosecution claim as well.

carwash11147

Reaction score
Vans are by far the worst culprits. If they do vacuum they suck up every kids meal toy into the hose and other assorted items until its plugged solid. (Funny how its always done after hours.) I just cant believe the level of disgustingness that people let stockpile in their vehicles. I can only imagine what their homes look like.
I have said this same exact thing for years. It truly is disgusting what comes out of some of these people's vehicles, wouldn't want to see their house!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I recall the FS days when we did on line vacuuming. Occasionaly a customer would complain about the poor vacuuming job.

I would look at the car and occasionaly comment that the job required a shovel, not a vacuum.

ToFarGone

Reaction score
Wow, there is a law against lack of common sense!

Frankly, without prior written or verbal notice I not only think it's a winner for the criminal defense, but for a maliscious prosecution claim as well.
They have crossed on to your private property and are using the trash receptacles that are for paying customers. When this happens I insist on trespassing, theft of services, and illegal dumping. They won't ever get all of these charges to stick BUT usually they get a citation for one of them.

I look at it like dumpster diving but in reverse. I had to call the police on a man that was INSIDE the dumpster looking for cans. He was very clear on the law, in his mind anyway, that once the trash was in the dumpster it was public property. I told him maaaaaybe if the can was in the public right of way. I explained to him in this instance crossed 250 feet of private property to get to the dumpster. I could tell he wasn't getting out so the boys in blue explained the situation (and got a chuckle out of it as well). I don't want your trash if you don't pay and I don't want you in my trash to make money.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't expect that to ever happen. If I see someone abusing the trash cans severely, I tell them that it's theft of service. That's their verbal warning.

Randy

Reaction score
I’ve had a lot of people prosecuted for “Theft of Services” over the years. I call the police show them the video, sometimes they want a copy. The police will send them a summons to appear in court, in Washington State it’s a mandatory court appearance and up to a $500 fine for “Theft of Services” plus $85 per bag restitution. The last guy blew it off and they issued a warrant for “Failure to appear”. He found out real fast about the long arm of the law when he tried to go into Canada for work and they wouldn’t let him enter Canada. Then he goes to court and ****ed off the judge, the judge doubled the fine. Don’t bring your household garbage to the car wash.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Wow. Wash state is the place to be. In Chi town they are too busy dealing with little stuff like shootings and such.