What's new

No heat in my trough

Nelson B

Reaction score
Currently we have no heat in our trough for our FB. Our weepmizer takes care of our wands, but the FB mixing box freezes up when it get below 20 degrees even though we use anitfreeze soap with the biggest tip in the hydrominder . What is the most economical way to heat the trough? I see some of you use the heat cable. Does that really work and are your mixing boxes in side the trough?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Currently we have no heat in our trough for our FB. Our weepmizer takes care of our wands, but the FB mixing box freezes up when it get below 20 degrees even though we use anitfreeze soap with the biggest tip in the hydrominder . What is the most economical way to heat the trough? I see some of you use the heat cable. Does that really work and are your mixing boxes in side the trough?
Our air and liquid are mixed at a T above the bay for the FB. We have a weep line T'd in as well. Alos have a closed loop liquid for trough heat from a seperate water heater. No freezing issues there.... mostly... at least not yet this year.

Past years for some unknown reason we had an occasional freeze at the wandss where it comes thru the roof at the swivel area. It was strange because the freeze could occur at 25 degrees yet we would be good at 5 degrees. I can only guess the temperature dropped faster than the weep could keep up on those occasions.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I'm not clear why your antifreeze soap would be freezing at 20 degrees. I know that wasnt your question, but it seems to me that is your problem, so the electrical heat tape would be the wrong solution. But perhaps having the mixing tank in the trough is more likely to freeze, I dont know.

are your mixing boxes in side the trough?
No, they're in the equipment room.

I see some of you use the heat cable. Does that really work
I use heat tape primarily for the tire cleaner, presoak, spot free. Yes it works for me down to about 15-20.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
We have one 65 ft metal heat tape and ran 2 bays of floor heat pex through trough. We have only had two problems in 9 years--both operator error plugged in wrong cord(not heat tape) and did not change filter on our weep reclaim so weep was reduced. I am surprised this heat tape has lasted so long--probably should make up a second and install--the first will fail at some point. Of course our trough in attic is well insulated--have got through occaisional sub zero (-5-10) nights.

Ted

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I installed 75' of the Raychem Self Regulating Heat tape in my trough. It only uses 450w of electric when its on. I didn't want to micro manage it, so I put a 30a line load thermostat inline so it will come on automatically at 30°-32°....Works Great....Its a huge savings over having to turn on the 350K btu floor heat boiler to get some heat in the trough. Thats how it was set up when we bought the wash a year ago...

packerscw

Reaction score
We found using a small hot water heater with braided hose looping through the trough has worked really good. CHEAP TO BUY, CHEAP TO RUN, CHEAP TO FIX