What's new

Nissan Versa - Scratched Hubcap

Red Baron

Reaction score
Guy drives up in his Hertz-rented Nissan Versa to show me 2 scratched hubcaps on driver's side -- says the rails in my IBA did it. I was suspicious right away because the scratches were deep as though something abrasive did it (like a concrete curb), not a scraping type of mark like a smooth metal pipe would do.

So I measure his wheel from the ground up to the top of the scratches to see that the scratches extended up 6" from the ground. But the round portion of my rails, where his hubcaps could have hit, are only 4.5" off the floor.

I watched the video and it didn't tell me anything.

First off, I don't think there's anyway my rails could have done it, and 120,000+ cars have used that bay with no similar complaints. Secondly, what stupid design to have the hubcaps extend out beyond the tire! Everyone hits a curb now and then, and that hubcap is gonna get scratched.

I thought I'd appease the guy and buy 2 hubcaps, but when he called back with prices, he asked me to buy all 4, not 2. Sorry dude, you just lost my desire for goodwill. I told him to take the car back to Hertz and have them call me.

How would you handle this?

Btw, this is the same guy I chewed out twice last week. He pulled up to my IBA Bug Brush and scrubbed his car before pulling into the SS bay in spite of my signs. Then I watch on the camera as he rubs the hogshair foamy brush in the foam on the bay floor left by previous customer and begins scrubbing his wheels. Not really the caliber of customer I want.

MEP001

Reaction score
Even without him having done the stuff before, when he wanted hubcaps replaced on a RENTAL car I'd have told him right away to have Hertz contact me.

You can bet he doesn't want those four hubcaps for that rental car anyway.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I would have told him to go pound salt. Well, maybe a little nicer than that, but no way I would have left the door open to any possibility of my buying any new hubcaps on a rental car. For a guy who seems to look for reasons to control what his customers do while on his premises, I'm shocked you let him put you in this position. You've got to use your experience to investigate what happened and if it looks like you weren't at fault deny the claim. If I had $5 for every time someone left without getting me to pay for preexisting damage, I could own a nice place in Boca Raton. My carwash owner radar would have told that based on past experiences with this customer to be very skeptical of any claim. Good luck with the rental company.

chaz

Reaction score
I have rented plenty of cars over the years....I have NEVER run a rental through a car wash even a 'free' wash with gas! Rental companies tend to wash and clean each car after each rental....

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Red, you have got to sit yourself down, probably with your smarter wife and think these things through and write down some procedures. Right up front there were a number of "this guy is trying to rip me off flags".

What I did, rather than get into a "no I didn't, yes you did" argument, I'd just say, "Not a problem, have your insurance company contact me and I'll turn everything over to mine". "I'm sure that they will do the right thing".

You don't get into any argument, you sound like a good guy, its over. He knows he is lying and its over.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Sheesh girls lighten up, I said "I thought I'd appease the guy," I didn't say I told him I'd buy him new hubcaps. lol

Actually I initially thought it coulda been my rails because while he was there I measured my rails and they come up about 7", but a little later I realized they are round and the only portion that could hit his hubcaps is only 4.5" tall. Then adding that new info to the gougy look of the scratches...

In 120,000 cars thru my IBA, I've paid for 2 items:
1. a $14 windshield wiper blade.
2. a low profile tire (coulda avoided paying for that, but the kid made an honest mistake and $200 to him is a much bigger deal than it is to me).

That's not too bad: $840,000 in revenue and $214 in claims. All those with a better ratio than that please feel free to stand in judgement. :)

In the end, the guy's attitude when I told him I wasn't going to pay him money and that he'd need to have Hertz call me, told me more about his intentions than just the facts alone. He was trying to make a few bucks the easy way.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
This guy must know the customer I replaced the side mirror I broke. She complained that she needed the other mirror because now she had one new nice looking one and one old one so I needed to buy another new one to match it.

Thought about telling her to bring the car in and I would scuff up the new one and make it look old instead.

Reaction score
look up rental car abuse on youtube, its crazy what people do to them...and this guy washes his and replaces parts on his rental, either hes the rental companys dream customer or he is trying to rip you off.

Red Baron

Reaction score
look up rental car abuse on youtube, its crazy what people do to them...and this guy washes his and replaces parts on his rental, either hes the rental companys dream customer or he is trying to rip you off.
I think the guy has the rental car while his is being repaired so he may have felt inclined to wash it since he's going to have it awhile. I don't want to try to get in his head -- that seems like a scary place to be.

Admitedly mine is a unique dynamic, the details of which aren't important. I do things different than just about every other car wash owner I know...I still don't know if my wash performs well because of that, or if I just got lucky on the location. Reluctant to upset whatever balance exists.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You should've backed the car into your IBA, scraping the hubcaps along side your rails and compared damage to the drivers side!!!

Just kidding. However, your investigation was finished once your measuring was complete.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
No one washes a rental car.
Especially a Versa. I hardly see customers with enough pride to wash a versa.

MEP001

Reaction score
Whale of a Wash said:
No one washes a rental car.
Not true. I don't like driving a dirty vehicle, whether it's mine or a rental. I also like to return things in better shape than when I got them. I know a lot of people that way.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Not true. I don't like driving a dirty vehicle, whether it's mine or a rental. I also like to return things in better shape than when I got them. I know a lot of people that way.
Ditto. I'll wash a rental car if it need it. It's kinda washing your hair even if you aren't leaving the house. :)