What's new

69Baracuda

Reaction score
I am considering building an inbay automatic; I'm planning to be a hands-on operator..,it's the farm girl in me :) My background is in business, but car washes are new to me.

I am looking for brand recommendations that are top performers in cold weather climates. I will be attending the ICA convention in Las Vegas are there any seminars that forum members would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

briteauto

Reaction score
One single stand-alone inlay, or are you planning ss as well?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“I am looking for brand recommendations that are top performers in cold weather climates. I will be attending the ICA convention in Las Vegas are there any seminars that forum members would recommend?”

Aside from operations/management seminar, exhibition floor and separate investor’s seminar, this year’s show does not specifically target self-service or detail shop operators.

ICA has designed the show to address needs of industry segments with expected growth; express exterior, convenience store and petroleum retailers and expansion of carwash chains.

Since carwash equipment isn’t exactly flying off the shelf, you will be supremely courted by the sales reps and after the show expect a lot of follow up pressure to buy.

As for in-bay, it is not the equipment that determines cold weather performance but rather the environment in which the in-bay resides.

Imagine yourself in standing in a service bay hand washing cars with bucket, sponge and garden hose. What would you need to continue washing cars when its 30 degrees F. outside?

Basically, you would need bay doors, underground heat and bay heat for ambient temperature and a leaking hose to keep water from freezing in line (weep).

mac

Reaction score
And a little bit of luck thrown in for good measure. Welcome to the forum. You wouldn't be THE Sara Baracuda, would ya?

69Baracuda

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Mr. Roman. I am looking forward to the show.

Sorry Mac...not THE Sara Baracuda...although, I imagine she would need info on a cold weather wash too!:)

soapy

Reaction score
I would first start in your area and see who the reputable dealers are. I am in a very cold climate with IBA. You will need good doors and radiant heat in the bay. I don't think you need in floor heat or to weep water with a properly insulated bay with radiant heat.

dogwasher

Reaction score
And a little bit of luck thrown in for good measure. Welcome to the forum. You wouldn't be THE Sara Baracuda, would ya?
Mac, what's a "Sara Barricuda"? She sounds fishy!

mac

Reaction score
If you recall a couple of elections ago, Sara Palin was the VP candidate, and she had that nickname due to her fierce playing on her high school basketball team. You just gotta love a woman who can field dress a moose.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Look at the Laserwash and Washworld IBA units.

You want a fully-programmable and easily adjustable machine with awesome tech support.

Start now perusing this forum to see what brands have what problems.

Get some operators who purchased new in the last few years to PM you and tell you their specific experience if they are willing to do so.

Bay has to be heated (floor heat works best IMO) with insulated doors. Doors should have NEMA 4 operators (not standard) so they last. If you get torsion spring operated door mechanisms (trolley or jackshaft style), stainless steel springs and shafts cost more up front but will last far longer.

Remember to add in the other items you may need; spot free rinse system, blowers, water softener, etc. It's a big, expensive project but well worth it if done properly and with careful planning and forethought.

mac

Reaction score
If you are going to the show, stop by the Istobal booth and look at their Tracer. Besides the neat tricks it does angling the wand while washing, it can have two way communication with your computer or factory tech. That allows you to reset it remotely or give a free wash to someone from your computer.