What's new

New wash going up !

mac

Reaction score
Just read the blurb from the ICA that states a new wash is breaking ground at Bealle Air Force base. The cost is 1.2 million. The article states it has automatics and hand wash bays. Because it's being built on the base, I'm assuming they already own the land. So is 1.2M right for a new wash? They must be using those $700 toilet seats in the restrooms.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Well, one thing is that only union labor can be used. That will add 20% to the cost of labor. I doubt if they are worried about ROI, but you can bet they will be bragging about how many jobs that they created.

This morning on Squakbox (CNBC) Jack Welch was on and his info, detailing all of the hidden taxes coming down the road, intimidation that this administration is using to beat "big" business into signing on to their programs, will scare the crap out of you. Some or most will not be able to be reversed even if there is a complete change over this Nov.

Randy

Reaction score
Mac,
I’ve been involved in a couple of those type projects and most of them are a partnership between the Post “PX” or Base Exchange “BX” and a civilian operator with part of the profit going back to the PX or BX. Normally the carwash operator pays a substantial franchise fee for the right to build and operate the car wash. Most military bases have Self Serve car washes on base. The Army base closest to me has 2 Self serve car washes on base and the Air Force base has one 4 bay Self Serve. They charge .25 for 1 minute of time in the bay and 5 minutes on the vacuums for .25. All vending items are .75. The days of the $700 Toilet seat covers are long over, they price check everything now and they are very tight with the funds.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
Well, one thing is that only union labor can be used. That will add 20% to the cost of labor. I doubt if they are worried about ROI, but you can bet they will be bragging about how many jobs that they created.

This morning on Squakbox (CNBC) Jack Welch was on and his info, detailing all of the hidden taxes coming down the road, intimidation that this administration is using to beat "big" business into signing on to their programs, will scare the crap out of you. Some or most will not be able to be reversed even if there is a complete change over this Nov.
Bill you state that only union labor can be used. This is not true, non-union has the same rights as union contractors on federal property bids also the statement of 20% higher cost is not true.
The gov. if they are doing this project will get bids from all contractors that are pre approved bidders, which includes union and non-union contractors.
If it is being let by private people they have the right to use either,union or non.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Doesn't sound too unreasonable to me. The last 3/2 I built cost around $1.4 when was all said and done. Back out the $175 k for land and I was not far off. Actually, the almost the same exact wash built in 2004 was about $900k with out land cost. How much and and how long ago did you pay for your washes?

dogwasher

Reaction score
Even if its not union built its probably still has to be built with prevailing wage so Bill is correct it will be 20% higher Union or Non
Also I think the toilet seats are now $350 instead of $700

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Read the Davis Bacon bill which all government contracts call for. It's union wages whether union or not.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
Read the Davis Bacon bill which all government contracts call for. It's union wages whether union or not.
True, Bill but to say it "HAS" to be built only with union labor is false, the only provision is that they pay prevailing wages.
Also prevailing wages are not nessarily union wages, it is the average of unio n wages and non union wages given in a hearing held in a certain region.
The hearing are held in gov. courts or meetings which union reps,and non union reps sumitt their pay scale for that region and the average is adopted and set for the region.
If the union reps are the only reps at the meeting and present their wage scale than that is adopted.
If non union would get off their lazy asses and go to the meetings and sumit lower wages, than the prevailing wages would be very much lower.
So who is to blame?,,,Can you blame union for wanting higher prevailing wages, OR do you blame the non union for not attending these hearings

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Wow, I thought this was a discussion on the cost of a government built car wash. Not union vs non-union wages or work ethic. While I would feel more confident with a union electrician or union plumber doing my work. My experience with many union workers has been that they are very lazy (while being highly skilled). Many mask their laziness under the threat of union grievances.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
Wow, I thought this was a discussion on the cost of a government built car wash. Not union vs non-union wages or work ethic. While I would feel more confident with a union electrician or union plumber doing my work. My experience with many union workers has been that they are very lazy (while being highly skilled). Many mask their laziness under the threat of union grievances.
Buzzie you are right in part, Let me state my experience, I was a union pipefitter for 32 years and considered myself SKILLED labor, I went to apprentice school for 5 years to learn my trade, in every year there after I attended vocational training on the latest trends of the piping industry, in the 32 years I was on strike for 1 "ONE" day only, Therefore threating union grievances was a non issue.
To complete with unskilled nonunion labor we would pride ourselves of being able to complete the job better without come backs and faster with the latest trends in tech. therefore the cost would be cheaper!
To address the term laziness, our union motto was "A FAIR DAYS WORK FOR A FAIR DAYS PAY", There by giving any company the right to fire or let go any union worker for not performing to their standards.
I am not here to fight over union and non union there are places for both sides, but DONT take my right to be represented away.
Thats all folks!

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
Wow, I thought this was a discussion on the cost of a government built car wash. Not union vs non-union wages or work ethic. While I would feel more confident with a union electrician or union plumber doing my work. My experience with many union workers has been that they are very lazy (while being highly skilled). Many mask their laziness under the threat of union grievances.[/QUOTE

PS, Buzzie I am not fussing at you or saying you want to take away my rights, just rambling on and stiring up the pot.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Living in an area of many/mostly government jobs being bid out for 40 years, I've never seen anything but union wages being paid whether it was a union or non-union contractor. I never checked into the why.

mac

Reaction score
I still don't see a positive ROI for any new wash priced like this one.