What's new

New Vacuums Needed! What would you recommend?

Etowah

GreenTreeCarWash

Reaction score
I am purchasing 5 new vacuums for my S/S Wash. I do not want shampoo or fragrance as a combo unit. Only Vacuum with a Turbo or Extra Power button.

I also plan to have electronic coin, bill accepter and the new cryptopay credit card swipe.

What vacuum would you suggest if price was not a consideration.
What vacuum would you suggest if price was a consideration.

Ease of care/maintenance/Customer Service from manufacturer, Dependable are my concerns.

Thanks for the help.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We have had both 3 & 2 motor vacuums over the years. I can honestly say that the overall design ... # of filter bags ... & other factors could be more important than just the the third motor (turbo) factor. Our vacuums are stainless & are Doyle brand ... not sure what the current status of those vacuums are now & if the different brands have been improved or possibly cheapened. We customized our vacuums to show time countdown with Dixmor LED7s ... I know the customers appreciate that feature. Our USA deficit reductions video on our website shows the display about 2/3rds into video. We are cautious about shampoo etc but our caution is related more to our extreme cold here in North Dakota.

Mike Walsh www.kingkoin.com

pgrzes

Reaction score
Why not combo Vacs?? If $$ is not an issue, I just replaced 6 Monorail 3 motor vacs and 1 frag mach and 1 shampooer with 6 Coleman Combo Vacs. that I refurbed. They are coin only and are doing over $50 per unit more then my previous machines, and thats only a few months in with out marketing them at all. I had a single Coleman shampooer for a little over 8 years no real issues at all, Motors last forever in them and breakdowns are very minimal. The only issue I have with them is the hose they use for the fragrance gun and shampooer hoses are just so-so.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
My first question is why do you need new vacs? Are the old ones rusted out or banged up? Are you just looking to add the 3rd motor option and Bill acceptor and CC?

Most vacs can use the same choice of motors and coin acceptors and timers. Customer service should be a non issue since you shouldn't need any. Similarly with dependability. There are few issues not easily solveable with vacs.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“I do not want shampoo or fragrance as a combo unit.”

“What vacuum would you suggest if price was not a consideration.”

First, I would estimate how many customers are going to be disappointed and money left on the table because you decided to upgrade and didn’t offer customers more amenities – shampoo, fragrance, air/water, rug beater.

Next, I would consider the vacuum that can produce the least amount of noise. Customers like suction not obnoxious noise.

“What vacuum would you suggest if price was a consideration?”

What does it matter? If price rules just buy the cheapest possible.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
robert roman;79346 Next said:
I would think that since vacuum motors are interchangeable, the manufacturers are allowing for a choice of a low noise motor. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like the type of motor is the only factor when it comes to vacuum noise. It seems like Ametek & maybe others have the higher priced more insulated motors that cuts down on the decibels a bit.

Mike Walsh www.kingkoin.com

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I'll bet dollars to donuts if it's too quiete some will think it's not working well..

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I'll bet dollars to donuts if it's too quiete some will think it's not working well..
I would be inclined to agree. In all my years in this business I don't think I have ever heard a complaint, probably not even a comment on the noise. Not from a customer, neighbor, or anyone.

MEP001

Reaction score
Same here. There are "quiet" motors, but they're more expensive and aren't as strong. I'm pretty sure if you put three quiet motors in a vac to compensate, it will be at least as loud as a 2-motor one.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
I like the fragramtics vacs myself. They are two motor vacs but they have a turbo option...their desing and motors produce quite a bit of suction especially on turbo. I have combo ones .... half have fragrance and half have shampoo. The fragrance ones do twice what the shampoo ones do...not sure why but that is my experience. The motors have lasted a LONG time. I bought extra motors back when I first bought one of the fragramatics vacs over 4 years ago and I still have not had to change a motor. Have not really done anytyhing to them other than change a light in the top of one. Of course I do clean the bags from time to tome. I am not really a big fan of putting bill acceptors in bays or vacs. Just too tempting to have bills in the bays in my opinion. I also have vac it up coin vac in the bays so that it not an isuse ... there are coins in the vacs but it has not been a problem. I do have the cryptopay credit card options so that helps as well with keeping cash out of the bays/vacs. If I were not using Fragramatics I might seriously consider Premier. I did not realize they made a vac until I was researching their dryers...they also make an inbay handheld dryer like the shamee system which I am considering....anyone have any experience with that? Not trying to hijack this thread so I might need to open that discussion on another one LOL ... hope this helps

GreenTreeCarWash

Reaction score
Thank you for your comments. Why would l not want shampoo/fragrance? I guess that I am looking at my own personal experience. I have been a user of self serve car washes for 25 years. Now, I am buying a S/S Car Wash. I have used the Vacs and even Turbo or Extra Power Vacs many times, but I have never used fragrance or shampoo. When I want my carpets shampooed, I go to the full service wash and pay the extra ten bucks to have them do it.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
One of the cardinal mistakes any operator makes is to run their wash on what they prefer instead of what the customers want. I have seen many washes struggle and even close because the owner/operator offered what they liked instead of what their customers do.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Without question, I would replace my Industrial Vacuum Systems 3-motor vacs with Industrial Vacuum Systems vacs if the need arises.

The Doyle family's design and quality of construction appears to live on under Ginsan’s ownership.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I guess it just depends on the wash. My shampoo vac does triple what the fragrance vac does. You should absolutely have at least 1 each of the combos imo.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
One of the cardinal mistakes any operator makes is to run their wash on what they prefer instead of what the customers want. I have seen many washes struggle and even close because the owner/operator offered what they liked instead of what their customers do.
I agree completely! I also have a confession.... I don't ever wash my car! :) I even turn down free car washes when Greg tries to wash my car. I feel better now. Thanks everyone for listening and being there for me! :)
Love Eric :)

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
So if all vacs use the same motors how much difference can there really be between brands? Maybe looks and price are the most important considerations. Just a thought.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the # of filter bags is a factor. If some have better gaskets ... it is probably a factor. Out of curiosity ... do the ones with the Turbo option seal the opening for the third motor when only 2 motor non turbo option is chosen. The reason why I am asking is because when one motor out of the two on my Doyles stops functioning without the breaker blown ... it seems like less than just the one motor' full suction because I think possibly of the way the air flows through the now dead motor.

mike

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the # of filter bags is a factor. If some have better gaskets ... it is probably a factor. Out of curiosity ... do the ones with the Turbo option seal the opening for the third motor when only 2 motor non turbo option is chosen. The reason why I am asking is because when one motor out of the two on my Doyles stops functioning without the breaker blown ... it seems like less than just the one motor' full suction because I think possibly of the way the air flows through the now dead motor.

mike
Check KR http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-35016-vacuum-check.aspx this should help.
I love my Turbo Vac. Gives the customer the choose (dollar wise) in 2 motor or 3 motor.
When using the 2 motor option the 3rd. motor seals off.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
So if all vacs use the same motors how much difference can there really be between brands? Maybe looks and price are the most important considerations. Just a thought.
Many parts may be the same: Motors, coin acceptors and timers. Arrangement of filter bags can make a difference. My 2 motor large Colemans seem to do as well or better than three motor D&S. The D&S use the cylinder type filter with the steel coil, one for each motor. The colemans have 4 filter bags for 2 motors. I have some old National prides with a single large disc type filter with aa weigted center. It raised up when the suction pulled on it and dropped when the motor was off, the theory seeming to be that the filter shook itself out. It seems logical that the greater filter surface area impedes suctiuon less. Then there is the issue of how the filters self clean, meaning how does dirt stay on or drop off over time. You have appearances differences, and serviceability. One door, 2 door, one large door, ease of cleanout, ease of motor change, security, suitability for bill acceptors with or without expensive upgrade. Ease of use if various options are present.

Etowah