What's new

New Vac Damaged During Shipping...

Twodose

Reaction score
Purchased two new vacs from Grant- D/H in July this year at a cost of $2500.00 each.

One was badly damaged in shipping.

I had them shipped to a location that had a fork lift and storage, I was not there when they were delivered, they were bolted to a small makeshift pallet made of osb and some ripped 2x4?s, then covered with a cardboard box stapled to the pallet.

The person who unloaded it was not instructed to inspect the contents, although they may have were there visible signs of damage, but signed the delivery receipt.

When I went there to check them out, they were still intact, the way they came off the shippers truck, first thing I did was shake the box to see if they were solid on the skid, one was not, upon inspection 2 of the 4 bolts holding the vac to the pallet were gone, so it could slop around, but it looked like it was dropped on the lid, they were top heavy and not very stable.

The shipping co. accepts no responsibility because of the signed receipt and refuse?s to pay for any damage they caused, I know with 100% certainty that it was damaged during shipping.

Is this a $2500 lesson, or has anyone ever had this happen and recouped the damage?s.

MEP001

Reaction score
Twodose said:
Is this a $2500 lesson
Probably, unless the unit can be repaired for less. I've run a warehouse, and I've ****ed off a lot of truck drivers making them wait while I inspect stuff before I signed for it, but it's what you have to do to protect yourself from exactly that sort of thing. The responsibility is on the recipient to inspect before signing, and your only hope is if Grant-D/H will help cover the costs.

Bill Manke

Reaction score
Probably a 2500 mistake. Sounds like it could have been packaged better. I had a wierd thing happen once. I ordered about 25 Washcard boxes from Washcard. When they came in my son unpacked them and put them on the shelf. As we were getting ready to install we noticed one of the boxes was missing. Up on the shelf was a jug of jewelry cleaner. just thought it was for cleaning stainless but it was put into the original packing box in place of a box. Come to find out the freight company had damaged the packing box and a jewelry cleaner box. so when they put them back together somehow one of the boxes was missing. So they put jewelry cleaner in instead. This was quite sometime before we got around to installing. I was really surprised how well Washcard handled it. Sent a box right out. Good luck.

Chuck Ivey

Reaction score
I had a pair of new J E Adams vacs go over the tailgate of a pickup truck. Don't ask :eek:. Because J E Adams packed them so well there was only very, very slight damage to one dome. I called Adams and told them to compliment the guys that shipped them on a job well done.
Yeah, now I lay 'em down.

MEP001

Reaction score
Chuck Ivey said:
I had a pair of new J E Adams vacs go over the tailgate of a pickup truck.
I actually had the same thing happen with a couple of D&S vacs. I had a strap around one side and one over the top. I didn't lose them completely and they didn't hit the ground, but they were upside-down against the back bumper while I was still going 65 mph. They were packaged very well and took no damage.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I made the same mistake a few years ago - I will NEVER make the mistake of not inspecting prior to signing off, including plugging it in and seeing it work if possible. Also, when I sign now, I add a note: "Briefly inspected for obvious physical damage only" or something like that - specifically to weigh in against their "you signed it, youre screwed" policy.

Since you are 100% certain it was damaged during shipping, if the shipping co will not take any responsibility I would take them to small claims court. They shouldnt be able to hide behind a clerk's signature - if they busted it, they should be held accountable, that just aint right. I know the courts will look at the signed doc, so you might not win, but I think you have a responsibility to try. It doesnt cost much to try.

Also file a complaint with the BBB, you can do that online now. Yes I think the BBB is worth the time.