What's new

New To The Business

Starr Wash

Reaction score
Hello out there. I recently purchased a carwash in Eau Claire WI from a friend of mine from High School...many years ago. Her husband passed unexpectedly and she was overwhelmed with everything as far as operations. I jumped in last Aug. and I think I'm starting to figure most of the equipment out and the just of the operation. The previous owner took the touch-less wash out as it was in need of a serious rebuild and this carwash is in more of residential neighborhood and with all of the conveyance store touch-less bays it didn't pencil out for him to fix it. He was a teacher and he used it to do hand washing in the summer when he was off of work. Because the large touch-less was removed, there are many abandanded water and gas lines that I plan on taking out this fall during the slow season. Looking for ideas for the abandoned bay
I'm basically looking for some people to talk to about this. I have been building houses for 30 plus years so problem solving and troubleshooting are things I enjoy. Sometimes I could use a little guidance and advice.

mac

Reaction score
Well you came to the right place to get advice from real operators. My suggestion is to make sure that everything is working as good as it can. Be prepared for a steep learning curve as there are many different manufacturers and chemical suppliers. Once you get that done then consider a new automatic. If most of the machines around you are touchless I would recommend a friction machine as they clean better and use much less water, soap and electricity. Finding a good tech or service company may be problematic. Good luck.

Starr Wash

Reaction score
Have you thought about putting in a new touchless? Might be worth your time/money
I don't think the traffic is there for the return. This is more of a neighborhood type of setting. There are also 2 existing touchless washes within a mile of the place.

Starr Wash

Reaction score
Well you came to the right place to get advice from real operators. My suggestion is to make sure that everything is working as good as it can. Be prepared for a steep learning curve as there are many different manufacturers and chemical suppliers. Once you get that done then consider a new automatic. If most of the machines around you are touchless I would recommend a friction machine as they clean better and use much less water, soap and electricity. Finding a good tech or service company may be problematic. Good luck.
Thanks! It'e been year of learning and I dont think I will ever stop learning when it comes to this place. Not sure about the rate of return with a touchless, not a high traffic area.

Etowah

soapy

Reaction score
Owners I have talked to that have put in a dog wash have different veiws. They all say they take a lot of time. Clean up after almost each dog if you are running it right. disinfecting etc. Most tell me they would not do it again but some really like it. Check with your insurance before you do install one. The insurance company I use would not write my business if I had a dog wash.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The one thing I would caution new owners about is adding extra services that end up making the car wash a "real job". At least consider the impact to both your revenue AND time and see if it pencils out.

You mentioned it's a neighborhood wash. So, yes, an automatic might not be a good option. However if the traffic is there a soft cloth wash might be a good option since the other options are touch free.

Dayead

Reaction score
You need to determine car counts, population density numbers and use this information to determine what your capture rate could be. That will help you decide if the investment into a new automatic would be worth it. It is also possible to buy used equipment for a steep discount. I recently was a Jim Coleman eFusion automatic for sale in Louisiana. Its 80-90k brand new. I bet you could buy it for 25k plus transport and install (5k?). Bargain!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess I would look at my revenue and expenses and determine if a friction rollover would be warranted. Differentiate yourself from your competitors.

If it isn't justified, I'd make it another self service bay. Get all the options you can; blowers, spot free rinse, 3 color foam, credit card acceptance, etc.

That's what I've got in my self service bays now and the customers love the options!

Starr Wash

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The one thing I would caution new owners about is adding extra services that end up making the car wash a "real job". At least consider the impact to both your revenue AND time and see if it pencils out.

You mentioned it's a neighborhood wash. So, yes, an automatic might not be a good option. However if the traffic is there a soft cloth wash might be a good option since the other options are touch free.
What is the rough cost of a cloth wash set up?

Starr Wash

Reaction score
I guess I would look at my revenue and expenses and determine if a friction rollover would be warranted. Differentiate yourself from your competitors.

If it isn't justified, I'd make it another self service bay. Get all the options you can; blowers, spot free rinse, 3 color foam, credit card acceptance, etc.

That's what I've got in my self service bays now and the customers love the options!
Thanks! We are planning a number of improvements over the next year. Maybe adding couple more under carriage rollers to the bays that dont have them.

Starr Wash

Reaction score
You need to determine car counts, population density numbers and use this information to determine what your capture rate could be. That will help you decide if the investment into a new automatic would be worth it. It is also possible to buy used equipment for a steep discount. I recently was a Jim Coleman eFusion automatic for sale in Louisiana. Its 80-90k brand new. I bet you could buy it for 25k plus transport and install (5k?). Bargain!
Are there services that can generate traffic counts?

Starr Wash

Reaction score
Owners I have talked to that have put in a dog wash have different veiws. They all say they take a lot of time. Clean up after almost each dog if you are running it right. disinfecting etc. Most tell me they would not do it again but some really like it. Check with your insurance before you do install one. The insurance company I use would not write my business if I had a dog wash.
I will do that, Thanks!