What's new

New technology advice on Surveillance Cameras

water guy

Reaction score
I wouldn't do wireless unless I had to put a camera somewhere I couldn't run the wire. I've never used wireless myself, but the people who do that I've asked have at least some issues with reduced framerate, poor quality video, or

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
If you get a Lorex system Make sure it is compatible with the lorex cloud app and not the Lorex home app. The Lorex home app sucks.
The home app is easy to use but when trying to play back video mine will lock up my iPhone occasionally rendering it useless for 5-10 minutes.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Nelly's Security is a really good company to use, I sell and install Alibi Security systems but we just had a recent price increase, and my god the prices have gone through the roof on items.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Nelly's Security is a really good company to use, I sell and install Alibi Security systems but we just had a recent price increase, and my god the prices have gone through the roof on items.
What's your thoughts on the backstreet?

sparkey

Reaction score
Alibi cameras are absolute trash. Their DVRs aren't to bad though. I installed a 16 channel alibi system about 5 years ago. I bet I don't have 2 alibi cameras left that still work, most of them didn't last 2 years.

toddmullens

Reaction score
I have 6 Lorex 16 channel systems in use and they have been flawless. Installation method is probably the most important factor in longevity of
any system in this type of environment. I use the junction boxes available from Lorex and they seem to make a huge difference in keeping everything dry and making them much easier to install.

soapy

Reaction score
LOrex has 20% off today. I looked at one system with 8 ball cameras, 8 MP and a 2 terra bite hard drive for $1100.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Look3d for it, but couldn't find those exact specs, on an $1100 system....

semocarwasher

Reaction score
Speaking of Lorex, has anyone figured out a good solution to cloud storage? We were broke into last week and of course they stole the NVR. We are now adding some layers of security. I have a new NVR on the way and added a couple of ring cameras to the site as well but would really like to have all of my security footage saved to the cloud. Trust me, this is something everyone needs to be thinking of before it happens. Having great camera footage does no good if they are able to get their hands on the NVR.

H20man

Reaction score
Speaking of Lorex, has anyone figured out a good solution to cloud storage? We were broke into last week and of course they stole the NVR. We are now adding some layers of security. I have a new NVR on the way and added a couple of ring cameras to the site as well but would really like to have all of my security footage saved to the cloud. Trust me, this is something everyone needs to be thinking of before it happens. Having great camera footage does no good if they are able to get their hands on the NVR.
Same thing happen to me in SE Nebraska. Following for advice. No DVR no Evidence.

Roz

Reaction score
I am looking into such a solution. Seems to be more challenging than it should be to find a solid cloud solution with a good 4k camera. Lorex cameras (which we have) are not the best, they have an issue with damp environments and the NVR has network issues at times. We installed many Wyze cameras with SIMS and cloud backup as a form of redundancy until we have a better main cloud solution.

OurTown

Reaction score
You could consider hiding the DVR better and using an additional DVR for a dummy in plain sight for the taking. It would of course need to be powered up for the indicator lights and have a bunch of cables plugged in the back.

Etowah