What's new

New Self Serve Start Up

MadMax

Reaction score
Hello friends!

I am looking to build a self serve business with 5+ bays. I am interested in putting in a reclaim system, but have no experience with a company that supplies this equipment. Does anyone have any insight into how much these cost/who is a reputable provider?

I also am looking for a token dropping pay system that accepts cards, cash, coins, and has the ability to scan phones if I want to build a loyalty program with my customers. I have seen some Hamilton solutions that might work, but I am curious if anyone has one they like?

Thank you all for the help!

MadMax

Reaction score
I am located in California, water is expensive as a general rule. I am looking to build from scratch.

MEP001

Reaction score
You'd be much better off harvesting rain water than trying to use reclaim. It's only possible to use reclaim in tunnel systems because you can control what goes in the pits. With a self-serve, you'll have people dumping all manner of crap in your bays and contaminating the water and breaking down the reclaim process. The reclaim will stink and stain everything.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think you can succeed with a self serve car wash when there are so many sitting vacant?

MadMax

Reaction score
That’s awesome info to know. I am in an area that is completely underserved with these types of washes. Good population growth, and there are no vacant washes around me. I also want to stick to a model where I can keep my employee count low.

traveler17

Reaction score
I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any tunnels around you or are there any SS near you? When was the last time you’ve seen a SS being built? You want to build one to keep employee count low? How many employees would you need. No disrespect but I think you need to do ALOT more research into the SS model. It’s not what you think it is. Do you have any idea what it’s going to cost to build and equip assuming you have the land already? Are you going to put an IBA or just SS?

Reactions: sjb

MadMax

Reaction score
We have tunnels and express washes all around us, no self serve. I see a market where everyone is running towards express, but In my area it’s over saturated. I am currently in a business that is employee intensive, and as many can estimate, it is a nightmare to find good people right now. Long term I want a model that can be serviced by me and my partner, without relying on too much outside help.

We are open to putting in an IBA, but the site will not be manned 24/7, so it makes us nervous. We have met with some operators in our area, and know this model is viable when executed correctly in the right location.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The fact that you are inquiring about reclaim for this type of car wash indicates that you have a lot more research to do on your own. I am sure that reclaim is possible but not necessarily feasible. You have to look at this from a cost standpoint as well as effectiveness. The fact that your area is saturated with tunnels does not necessarily prove that the self-serve model will be successful.

HeyVern

Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that California requires all new washes to have reclaim systems. I believe many other states, especially western states, will require them i the near future. I am installing the tank for a reclaim system so that it will be ready to add a reclaim system if when the technology improves. My nephew had a system in his tunnel that was capable of recycling 80% of water used. The most he ever used was 20% because it could only be used at the prep station and high pressure rinse without causing problems.

Reaction score
Hello friends!

I am looking to build a self serve business with 5+ bays. I am interested in putting in a reclaim system, but have no experience with a company that supplies this equipment. Does anyone have any insight into how much these cost/who is a reputable provider?

I also am looking for a token dropping pay system that accepts cards, cash, coins, and has the ability to scan phones if I want to build a loyalty program with my customers. I have seen some Hamilton solutions that might work, but I am curious if anyone has one they like?

Thank you all for the help!
Hello there! Best of luck in your build for your SS bays. Don't forget the payment system! WashCard specializes in Self Serves and provides the best technology in the industry. We have lots of options for your bays that include coin, token, cash, credit card, tap, and a mobile app solution. We'd love to talk to you more when you're ready, or start the conversation now to get some numbers to you. Check out our website or give us a call at 651-661-9710.

AutoSpaMobMO

Reaction score
In my small town it is required for all new builds to have a reclaim system. My friend built his 20 years ago and he had to put one in his 4bay Self serve and one in bay automatic.
He has sold metal panels under the grates to keep the large material out of the reclaim system that requires cleaning out often depending on business.