What's new

New regulation in CA regarding reclaim

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
AB 2230:

This bill would require an in-bay car wash, as defined, or a conveyor car wash, as defined, permitted and constructed after January 1, 2014, to either install, use, and maintain a water recycling system, as defined, that recycles and reuses at least 60% of the wash and rinse water, or to use recycled water provided by a water supplier for at least 60% of its wash and rinse water.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
How much water do all the restaurants in CA. use?
I bet there is 100 times more resuarants in CA. than car washes. Talk about water consumption.
Why don't they recycle all the restaurant water?
With all the swimming pools in CA. I would think that a lot of water is used.
Why not include all the households/hotels with pools be required to recycle 100 percent of the water so they don't refill their pools too.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Regulation

I don't know of any effort to fight it. Maybe some of the wash organizations knew of it but I only just discovered it now.

I was reviewing the voluminous list of new laws in CA that take effect in 2013 and found this in the list. The CA legislature has too much time on its hands-- the list of new laws is almost hard to believe.

soapy

Reaction score
I know the WCA has been monitoring this for a while. They have reported on it in their newsletters. Contact the Western Car Wash Association for more information. Thhis is a good reason to belong to your regional association.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Wca

I belong to WCA but am not very active ... er, not active at all.

From my read, the law takes effect Jan 1 2013 but the teeth in it kick in Jan 1 2014.

mac

Reaction score
It may not be as bad as it seems, although I admit any new reg ususally is bad. Since all of your washes are grandfathered in it won't affect them, for now. You can install most any reclaim (I like the Catec) and absolutely NO bueaucrat will know what he is looking at. Just tell them what they want to hear so they can go back to the doughnut shop. Here in FL a few years ago they had water restrictions for a draught, and they made restaurants stop automatically bringing out a GLASS of water with an order. Meanwhile you could drive by the orange groves and see pumps with 20" discharge merrily watering the groves.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
An “existing” law requires CA to achieve a 20 percent reduction in per capita water use by 2020.

There are about 25 million people in CA. A 20 percent reduction would be equivalent of curtailing the water use of 5 million people.

A new law, AB 2230, is purported to save enough water to supply over 45,000 families for a year or the water use of over 100,000 people or about 2 percent of the goal.

Obviously, CA is doing more than just regulating the carwash industry to achieve the other 98 percent.

As for fighting 2230, consider CA provides irrigation for 50 percent of U.S. fruits and vegetables and yet some areas of the state only receive 15” of rain.

So, what argument is easier to make - use reclaim water to wash cars or irrigate the fruits and vegetables?

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Regulations

Umm, regarding "all of your washes are grandfathered in" .......

In my experience, the bureaucrats in the peoples republic of California, under this legislation, will require an existing SS wash to add reclaim if they want to install an in-bay automatic. That's my situation as I don't have a current in-bay unit.

Today, I could add one without having reclaim be required, a year from now, not so. And, from my experience, the permitting and related costs will likely increase accordingly.

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
An “existing” law requires CA to achieve a 20 percent reduction in per capita water use by 2020.

There are about 25 million people in CA. A 20 percent reduction would be equivalent of curtailing the water use of 5 million people.

Robert you missed the numbers by about 12 million. California "known" population is 37 plus million! However with that population you'd think they could handle the operation without adding more tax burden onto it's citizens!:confused:

But stick around there has been a net out-flow of the citizens moving to non-state tax havens......Nevada for one!:D

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Regulation

The upcoming regulation is going to speed up and force a decision on whether I add an in-bay auto or not. It will simply get more expensive to do it if I wait until the new regulation kicks in.

Geez with the economy humming along so well, why would I balk at that?

A sampling of some additional new regs in CA:

SB 9 allows people convicted of murder, if they had committed the crime as a minor, to seek resentencing from life in prison to 25 years to life.
SB 661 makes picketing at funerals a misdemeanor,
AB 1527 bans openly carrying unloaded rifles on city streets
SB 1458 de-emphasizes standardized tests in evaluating public education
SB 623 extends a program allowing nurse practitioners, midwives and physician assistants to perform nonsurgical abortions.
AB 2189 allows an estimated 400,000 undocumented immigrants to obtain driver's licenses
SB 1172 prohibits therapy on homosexual or other minors that attempts to alter their sexual orientation.
SB 1055 bars landlords from requiring online payments.
AB 1844 prohibits employers from demanding a worker's or an applicant's user name or password for social media.
SB 1219 extends until January 2020 a program ensuring plastic bags are accepted for recycling at supermarkets and large stores that include a pharmacy.
SB 1221 bars use of dogs to hunt bears and bobcats
SB 1145 doubles the maximum fine for cockfighting
AB 2410 bans the candidacy of a person convicted of a felony involving bribes, perjury or offenses of the public trust.
AB472 bars a person from being arrested on drug use or possession charges after summoning medical help for an overdose involving anyone.

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
Duane, haven't seen or talked to you in a couple of years! Hope everything is going well! Hope the New Year is better for all of us here in California and only time will tell! :confused:

What would you expect from California when Sacramento has a "Super majority" of Politicians! :eek:

Are you planning on an "in-bay" auto or just thinking about it? Good luck on whatever you do! Happy New Year to you and the forum! :)