What's new

New member and new owner

Canonroyal

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and also new to the car wash business. I’ve been browsing the threads and have found tons of valuable information already! I currently have three self service bays, four vacs, an on-site detailer, soon to offer a full front vending machine and windshield chip repair. I’ve read some info on here about super bays. What exactly is that? I currently run about 1200 psi in each bay with soap, brush, and wax. I’ve considered an in bay dryer but was unsure if it’s worth the cost. Should I consider backing two bays down to 1000 psi and make my super 1200+? I have old cat 10 frame pumps. How many psi can they handle? Thanks for the feedback!

MEP001

Reaction score
10 frame pumps, like 623? Only 1200. A "super bay" is usually much higher.

What other functions do you have?

Canonroyal

Reaction score
Yes, they are 623. I only have soap, brush, wax, rinse, and low pressure spot free. I have 8 position switches though, so I do have room to grow. The previous owners had the pressure relief valves screwed down tight enough that the pumps were at almost 1800ish psi but it started cracking the valve heads when people weren’t squeezing the trigger on the wand. I cranked them back down to 1200. What psi would a super bay need? Is it feasible to upgrade the pump to something that would put out more? I get lots of comments on my pressure as I know it’s higher than some of the others around town.

Randy

Reaction score
I run my Cat 310 pumps at 1500 psi with a 1505 nozzle. I think 1500 psi is plenty of pressure. You shouldn't be cracking Cat 623 heads if your a weep style gun. I'd replace the pumps with a Arimitsu 516 pump when the Cat 623 pumps go bad.

OurTown

Reaction score
The Cat 623 pump is a heavy duty low RPM piston pump but made for lower pressures. (1,200 psi max) They cost twice as much as your typical plunger pump made for a self serve bay. We run ours at 1,000 psi with a 2507 tip and we get compliments on our pressure on a regular basis.

Canonroyal

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply’s. I do have weep guns, but I’ve had two heads crack already. They seem to be better after I turned it down a little. Does the tire cleaner run through the same system as the pressure wand or is it it’s own hose and gun like a triple foam system? I assume you just plumb it in after the pump somewhere?

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply’s. I do have weep guns, but I’ve had two heads crack already. They seem to be better after I turned it down a little. Does the tire cleaner run through the same system as the pressure wand or is it it’s own hose and gun like a triple foam system? I assume you just plumb it in after the pump somewhere?
Keep it simple and run through same wand as a low pressure injected with air go ahead and instail tire cleaner & presoak at same time. Your gonna need some check valves and a stainless manifold above each bay. Etowah valley lo pressure system wall mounted is exactly what you need for a small carwash that size, so simple. If you have brush system already i am sure you have a descent size air compressor onsite already since you will be using it more to inject air and run the flojets

Canonroyal

Reaction score
I have an 80 gallon, twin cylinder compressor that used to run an old auto bay so it should be big enough. What is the stainless manifold for?

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
One more thing word of
I have an 80 gallon, twin cylinder compressor that used to run an old auto bay so it should be big enough. What is the stainless manifold for?
Yes thats plenty big enough for a 3 bay. The stainless manifolds in each bay in the ceiling is where the HP hose connects, the air supply for tire cleaner and air supply for presoak then you have the liquid side for each chemical also all which have check valves for each function so it does backflow into your holding tanks for all the functions. Do a search in the form and it's several threads that go over this in detail.

MEP001

Reaction score
IMO you don't need a stainless manifold at the boom, although I do always use a stainless nipple from the manifold into the boom. A brass one will erode and eventually break. Something like this:

The left cross is tire cleaner, presoak and air. I prefer 3/8" OD tubing for presoak for better volume and use the same air line for both. This lets you foam the product so you can deliver it extra strong so it sticks and cleans without much waste:

If it's not already done this way, bringing the spot free to the same manifold at the boom is much better than running it through the length of the high pressure line.

Damoni88

Reaction score
The way mep has his set up is how i have mine at one of my carwashs. Works great and very easy. Me and my cousin replaced all hoses and they work great. Changes hoses after 10+ years was a bit of a task but well worth it.

Canonroyal

Reaction score
So will this generate foam out of the high pressure wand or is there an aerating nozzle? What’s the blue thing in the pic with the tire?

Damoni88

Reaction score
No. That is the set up tied to the boom. Chances are mep has a different boom like i have for foam brush. The blue thing is the wand and nozzle protector. This is for your presoak,tirecleaner,spotfree,and your 3 high pressure funtions. The stainless steel are the two check valves for his air, tire, and presoak and the other one is spot free. The middle is the high pressure hose from control room. My foam brush is on its on boom on the side of the bay and im pretty certain meps is to.

Canonroyal

Reaction score
Okay. That makes more sense now. I will definitely check into that system. What’s everyone’s thoughts on the hand held dryer? Worth the money or not?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I have an amateur question. Why not have the HP chems injected there also? Mine are done at the pump stand and takes a while to get out to the bay.

OurTown

Reaction score
I have an amateur question. Why not have the HP chems injected there also? Mine are done at the pump stand and takes a while to get out to the bay.

For high pressure the chemical needs to be put in on the suction side of the pump.

Damoni88

Reaction score
Okay. That makes more sense now. I will definitely check into that system. What’s everyone’s thoughts on the hand held dryer? Worth the money or not?
I would hold off on the dryer for now as that really isnt a must have. From your previous post sound like you need to add presoak and tire cleaner. You want your customers to have these functions cause you are in THE BUISNESS of selling time. So you add these functions it will eat up time and that is what you want. If you were to add in bay dryer they could quickly rinse off car and just use the remaining time on the in bay dryer. Give them more stuff to put on their car. In your case i would be giving away so much soap so they would have to spend alot just to rinse it off.:)

Canonroyal

Reaction score
That makes perfect sense for the air dryer. I didn’t consider that. I have my soap cranked up as high as the proportioner will go and I’m experimenting with how high I can batch mix the soap in the tank. I keep my foam brush really high so people spend more time rinsing. I am definitely looking into the tire and pre soak. Thanks for the reply’s!

Etowah