What's new

New Management Advertising

leverage

Reaction score
I am taking over a car wash that has a bad reputation in town. My partner is well entrenched in the community and could likely spread the word that we are going to really fix up the place and offer much better service? What does everyone recommend in terms of giving out coupons for discounted washes, etc... I thought about doing a kick off party and giving out free hot dogs, sodas, etc... to bring people in and try the machine. What do you think?

MEP001

Reaction score
Before you get that far, you should make sure the car wash is up to snuff. Make sure everything is working properly and reliably and (assunimg it's a touchless auto) it is producing clean, dry cars. If you try to relaunch a crummy wash, you'll only add to the bad reputation.

That said, getting customers in, or back, to try it out is always a good idea. One of my favorite methods is working with charities, selling at a very low price or giving them tokens that they can resell and keep the profits. They get money, you get customers and customer awareness that you support your community.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I always recommend a complete break with the old wash if there is a problem with the reputation of the business.

This means stuff like creating a new business name and buying new highway sign inserts, changing the image of the wash (i.e. new color scheme, new carwash reciepes, brand services, etc.), upgrade the lighting, pressure clean the wash-bay (paint if necessary), overhaul the equipment (if necessary), upgrade the POS (if necessary) to one that has network marketing capabilities, add surveillance cameras, place some temporary yard signs announcing "under new ownership," re-surface the pad site and fresh line painting (if necessary), freshen up or add some landscaping and host of other things that transforms the old into the new.

Then hit consumers with a wave of marketing and promotion. For example, direct mail (Moving Targets), several press releases to local radio and TV stations, Internet website, hosting some charitable events, etc.

When you reopen, spend some time on site (several weeks to a couple of months) and baby-sit the wash to show customers you mean business with the turnaround.

jprb

Reaction score
When we had our Grand Opening at a new wash, we gave away FREE washes all day. We had been open for almost a year before we had the grand opening. I took flyers to several business around town advertising the event. We gave out free hamburgers and soda, too. We gave away "goodie" bags with air freshners, ink pens, armor all, etc. to everyone that came by. We also had everone sign up for a drawing and gave away two grand prizes of "One Year of Free Car Washes" (52 free wash tokens). We had the self service bays on (FREE) all day, too. I also mailed out flyers to customers that I had previously sent refunds to, inviting them to the event. We had crowds all day long, and I can't think of anything better that we could have done to attract customers. The large FREE WASH banners out front did a great job. At the end of the day, we gave out free wash tokens to everyone that was still in line for a wash.

http://www.autocareforum.com/bsrbour-promo.html

JPRB