What's new

New LED lights in the parking lot

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
Hello all:

I replaced my 1000 watt HPS lights last summer with 144 watt LEDs. Here's the data after 3 months:

Sept. through Nov. in 2013 averaged $391.00 per month. The same period in 2014 averaged $295.00 per month.

The demand revenue charge did not change any. It is still a constant $93.24 per month.

The 5 lights cost $1396.00 total and I paid $213.00 to rent the man lift. I did the labor myself.

If the 3 month average savings holds, the project should pay back in about 17 months.

The lights aren't as bright as the 1000 watt fixtures I had, but they are adequate. They were advertised to be 400 watt equivalent and I would say that is about right. I purchased 2 of the cool white and 3 of the natural white. The LED fixtures are focused in a narrower pattern than the HPS. They claim that I won't need to replace them for 20 years, where I had to relamp the HPS fixtures every 3 to 4 years.

Overall I would say this was worthwhile.

Keith

washnvac

Reaction score
Agree with you on the light throw. I just replaced a total of (12) 400 watt MH lights with the 144 watt cool whites. The light is more intense at the 40 degree pattern, but less on the fringes. I think it has to do with all the new lighting regulations in regards to light pollution. The thing they miss with this regulation is all the light businesses help throw out into the streets and surrounding businesses. So if everyone switches to the leds, there is going to be a lot less light on the roadways, etc. Which means maybe the municipality will have to add street lights, if there are none.

jprb

Reaction score
What are the make/model of the fixtures you used? I've been interested in trying this, too.

JPRB

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
my electrician found an l.e.d. conversion for my rab wall paks. cost $35 complete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pgrzes

Reaction score
I called Peco and had them put 3 lights in. I think they are 400w metal halides. I pay $30 for each per month and have 0 maintenance. If a light is out I call them. I got tired of replacing bulbs, ballasts etc. I have more light then I needed so I was able to shut down 4 250w Mh on my vac islands.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I purchased these: http://www.e-conolight.com/shop-by-.../e-hl6f11.html?finish=5311&cct=5271#configtop

Econolight seemed to be a good company to deal with. I will use them again next time.

Keith
Keith,

Thanks for the previous lead you gave to the company on one of your previous posts. The 10% discount was also helpful.

We just installed four of their 72 watt LED Floods which are the equivalent to 250 metal halide. As Keith does ... at this time ... we also feel that the company & the Cree LED product is of a quality nature. On a previous post I showed a screen shot of their layout tool that is linked off their home page & found that to be very helpful & accurate in guiding us to change the position of one of the 72 watt LEDs from our original plan. We went through concrete block 7-5/8" & extended their leads by soldering & heat shrinking so we could make our connections within junction boxes on the inside of our building instead of on the outside. By using rigid conduit with union directly into the somewhat heavy LED fixture it also made the installation more windproof.

mike walsh http://kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html

Wet Spot

Reaction score
Do you still like your LEDs , I was looking at the ones you purchased. I'm thinking about these, LED Floodlight (Large) - 87°, 13,200 Lumens, 5000K, also from Cree on econolight. I was thinking the light would be spread out more with the 87 rather than 40. Thoughts, they were just on sale two days ago, hopeing i can still get sale price,looking for a discount code.

$299.99
SKU: E-HL8F15C2Z

I purchased these: http://www.e-conolight.com/shop-by-.../e-hl6f11.html?finish=5311&cct=5271#configtop

Econolight seemed to be a good company to deal with. I will use them again next time.

Keith

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
Yes, I'm satisfied with them. It is a more focused light than the 1000 watt HPS that I replaced, but still covers my parking lot very well. The thing I really like is the more that $100 per month that my electric bill has went down since installation. I'm in the process of replacing my wall packs with LEDs over the next few months.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Do you still like your LEDs , I was looking at the ones you purchased. I'm thinking about these, LED Floodlight (Large) - 87°, 13,200 Lumens, 5000K, also from Cree on econolight. I was thinking the light would be spread out more with the 87 rather than 40. Thoughts, they were just on sale two days ago, hopeing i can still get sale price,looking for a discount code.

$299.99
SKU: E-HL8F15C2Z
Wet Spot,

Just to follow-up with Keith ... we too really continue to like our year old 72 Watt Crees. It was definitely worth it for us to go through the process of using their light simulator on their website. Keep in mind some of the lights were discontinued so the coverage could show up different even though the previous Flood was the same wattage as the newer versions they might now have!

Mike Walsh www.kingkoin.com

soapy

Reaction score
I bought a few 80 watt Cree LED flood lights a couple of years ago. They worked great at first but now not a single one of them is working. For what was supposed to be a 100,000 hour light they have fallen well short. In general I have had poor luck with the higher wattage LED lights. Many of them now say 50,000 or 60,000 hours and have fallen off the old 100,000 hour advertising they used.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Many of them now say 50,000 or 60,000 hours and have fallen off the old 100,000 hour advertising they used.
With Dusk-to-Dawn + 1 hour per day, that's still about 10 years of life expectancy.

Kevin James

Reaction score
I bought a few 80 watt Cree LED flood lights a couple of years ago. They worked great at first but now not a single one of them is working. For what was supposed to be a 100,000 hour light they have fallen well short. In general I have had poor luck with the higher wattage LED lights. Many of them now say 50,000 or 60,000 hours and have fallen off the old 100,000 hour advertising they used.
i hope you contacted who ever you bought them from and complained. They should be on warranty.

Robert2181

Reaction score
looking to replace 2 MH on a bull horn poles in the lot.Any suggestions would be great. Thanks