What's new

New LED Interactive Lighting

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
First of all, thanks to CantBreak80 for planting the seed. I finally got my new PLC Controlled lighting system installed. Some History and numbers for comparison….Original lights, High Power 175w Mercury Vapor, 100% of Dark Hours, 2100 watts per hour. In 2011 I put in 85w CFL Retrofits, 100% of dark hours, 1020w per hour. Recently I installed a PLC Controller, all new wiring, and LED (3) 4’ bulb fixtures (4 each) in all the bays, twice as many fixtures as Mercury Vapor and CFL Retrofits. From on time (Dusk) till 10pm, All lights and tubes are on including vac and changer lights, 966w….After 10pm, 2/3rds of all bulbs turn off and leave only center bulb on for security. If someone uses a bay after 10pm, after the timer starts, all lights for that bay light up. When time runs out, there is a 5 minute delay before switching back to security. Total security watts from 10pm till dawn, 318w per hour, a significant savings over the CFl's….Its actually amazing how much 318w of LED's light up the wash when I stop by at 6am on my way to work. Customers seem to love it. Night-time use has increased. The Pictures tell the tale!

Testing the Concept and Programming before installing

Control Panel with PLC and Individual Relays to handle the load. Not quite finished, need to tidy up the wiring when I snapped the pic.

Attic Junction Boxes, Thanks Mike Walsh for sharing the idea for using Wago Connectors. They are Awsome for lighting projects like this.

Last edited:

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
LED v/s CFL, The truck bay and both bays on either side of the ER are LED. The remaining bay is CFL, 5000 color, same as LED's....Huge difference in color and lighting quality between CFL and LED.

All lights on...

3 bulb IP67 rated 4' fixtures...(4) fixtures for each bay. 56w per fixture, 18w per bulb.

Truck bay with new SS angled shields for two of the 4' fixtures. Plenty of light, even for the outside bay!

Last edited:

Eric H

Reaction score
Looks great! do you have a link for the light fixtures? What is an approximate cost of the control box?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
I’ve created a monster! ��

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I’ve created a monster! ��
Pretty much! I'm running out of Idec Projects! What else can I put one of these on! LOL...

I just bought some of the fixtures from here, $36.50!

https://www.conservationmart.com/p-...ready-vapor-tight-fixture-lsv3xt8use4806.aspx

The controller is an IDEC FL1F-H12RCA with expansion module FL1f-M08D2R2...Cost is about $200 for both...Pretty neat, it has an Astronomical Function Block that you can incorporate in the program that tracks sunrise and sunset. No more changing timer pins.

https://www.wolfautomation.com/inde...MIw6iGk_ax3gIVgpyzCh2caQAsEAAYASAAEgJfevD_BwE

Last edited:

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
I am interested in how the relays work long term. I use relays for my colored in bay led lights and I am having problems with them now (about 2 years in) with relays sticking in the on position. I have been told by my local electronics store that relays have trouble with led lights and it is a known industry wide issue.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
There is only about 1 amp load on each of the relays, planned to hopefully address that issue.... The Idec Relays are good for 10a....I must have about 50 of them in operation at the wash and I've never had one go bad. But they are only about $3 or $4 each off ebay, so not hateful if one does weld itself closed. Some of them get quite a work out on the pump stand.

Randy

Reaction score
Jeff the light project looks awesome. How much do you think you'll save on your power bill? Up here in the Pacific North West it's so dark and gloomy in the winter time during the day we have to leave our lights On 24/7 from about the first of November to early April so it looks like we are open.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I am interested in how the relays work long term. I use relays for my colored in bay led lights and I am having problems with them now (about 2 years in) with relays sticking in the on position. I have been told by my local electronics store that relays have trouble with led lights and it is a known industry wide issue.
You might try a varistor to ease the spike of the LEDs coming on, assuming that's what is causing your relays to fail. I've noticed after switching to LED bulbs at home that the light switch is much more likely to arc with a visible spark and a good bit of noise when I flip the switch, even though it's only switching 15 watts instead of 200.

I've been using the Siemens version of the IDEC programmable relay for years. There has been no trouble with them other than voltage spike from lightning, but I would never run a load through them because they aren't meant to be repaired. Any load beyond a solenoid coil goes through a relay.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
How much do you think you'll save on your power bill?

Its only going to save $30-$40 a month, but I didn't install the LED's for the savings. I installed them for a better night-time experience and interaction...Here in Southern Ohio, it gets so darn hot and humid in the summer, I'm sure the additional light will bring in more nighttime use and income. I got them in too late to benefit completely from the additional use at night this year, but I can tell a difference so far.

Here's some pictures I snapped this morning at 6am....392w of total security lighting for the whole wash including vacs and changer. Each of the 4 bays only have (4) 18w bulbs lighting them. The changer (3) bulb light (56w) is completely lit for contrast. Note how much light is in each bay on just 72w total (Security mode)....Yes, only (1) bulb is on per fixture in each of the bays.

Last edited:

pgrzes

Reaction score
Nice work. Looks like an Omron Zen Plc? I did basically same setup in wash I rehabbed 1 1/2 years ago. 4 vaportight fixtures with led bulbs in each bay. Dusk to dawn 1 light over selector doors stay on. When timer starts, other 3 lights come on and run for 10 min. past timer shut off. I also have a Zen in my IBA's, when a wash is selected light in IBA come on and run for a total of 13 minutes, that way on busier evenings or mornings they are not cycling off and on if steady flow through the auto. Then I also used a Zen for a vac it up that we built at the wash. I wish I knew more about programming these things, they have soo many uses in our business. I have a friend that does them for me. Ill have to find a pic of control panel we built.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Nice work. Looks like an Omron Zen Plc? I did basically same setup in wash I rehabbed 1 1/2 years ago. 4 vaportight fixtures with led bulbs in each bay. Dusk to dawn 1 light over selector doors stay on. When timer starts, other 3 lights come on and run for 10 min. past timer shut off. I also have a Zen in my IBA's, when a wash is selected light in IBA come on and run for a total of 13 minutes, that way on busier evenings or mornings they are not cycling off and on if steady flow through the auto. Then I also used a Zen for a vac it up that we built at the wash. I wish I knew more about programming these things, they have soo many uses in our business. I have a friend that does them for me. Ill have to find a pic of control panel we built.
The Omron Zen is probably very similar. I use the IDEC FL1F-H12RCA with expansion module FL1f-M08D2R2...You are right, there are many uses for them in a CW environment.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Pretty much! I'm running out of Idec Projects! What else can I put one of these on! LOL...
2Biz,
Since you’ve added coin pulse inputs to your FL1F control panel you can now remotely check the total values deposited in the coin boxes. With just a few additions to your function blocks, the FL1F math functions can display the individual bay totals and the aggregate value on its screen.

And, with a couple of added wires from your bill changer, remotely check its remaining capacity. Or, if it’s out-of-service. Low on coins? The display background turns Amber. Out of service? Red!!!

If you have a PC at the car wash, the FL1F can display on the computer monitor. If you have internet at the car wash and a smartphone in your pocket, you can view this info from anywhere!
No need to rush home from the river just because you thought you might have had a busy weekend?

Now…let’s talk about integrating some really cool stuff. Like “Hey Seri, turn on bay 2”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si5kDnhtWMI

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm not sending coin pulse signals to the PLR inputs, I'm sending timed output from the bays to the inputs. I'm all out of unused wires going out to the bays. BUT, anything can be done! More wire or switch from timed input to pulsed input! I remember all the capabilities of this model PLR since it has a network connection. Something I did think about....Remote monitoring might be worthwhile to someone who lives far from the wash, but my wash is just 3 blocks from home and I stop by about 3 times a day. So having all those neato things is way over-kill for me. Getting the lights done and functioning was a real challenge! Not so much the complexity, the challenge was finding the time to get it done!

Now the thought of monitoring while I'm Camping at the river, that has me thinking!

About Siri....While sitting on the river indulging in a few beverages of choice! "Siri, can you clean bay 3. Someone left a hell-ov-a mess?!"

Now wouldn't that be Cool!

Last edited:

Lilwarrenb

Reaction score
This looks awesome! Exactly what I had in mind. Nice to see that it's still lit very well with only 1 bulb per fixture, I would of been skeptical that it wouldn't have been enough. Then the added surprise the first time someone uses it in the dark, should be well worth the time and money. Great Post!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I had (2) hubble fixtures per bay with 85w cfl. I believe the (4) 18w LED bulbs for security puts out more light. So yea, when all the bulbs are lit, it's bright. The (3) bulb fixtures are perect for this type of lighting project.