What's new

New IDX X-12, shame on me

copperglobe

Reaction score
I got talked into purchasing an IDX X-12 (that's their new coin mech) to put in a Hamilton ACW. "Just plug it in" IDX said. "Works great" IDX said. Shame on me I fell for it. Got the X-12 and it won't work in a Hamilton ACW. IDX says "sure it will". After several phone calls to IDX their opinion is that it's my Hamilton's fault. So I called Hamilton. Hamilton says they've tried to get a X-12 to work in their ACW's and they can't get them to work either. Buyer beware I guess. I should have known better....IDX!!!

OurTown

Reaction score
Did you call IDX after you talked to Hamilton? It would be interesting to see how that went but they probably don't care.

copperglobe

Reaction score
I did call IDX after Hamilton told me that the X-12 doesn't work in their ACW's. IDX says that it's still something wrong with my ACW's. We went back and forth and finally I hung up on them. Everything people say about IDX on here is true.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Seeing this doesn't make me happy. I too was talked into trying IDX's new acceptor and so I bought a half dozen for my parts shelf and spares. Not having to swap out frames everytime I need to put in a new acceptor was enticing to me. I haven't installed a new one yet but I hope they friggin work in vacuums and bays like they're supposed to.

They're really aren't a lot of great options. I was going to make the switch and standardize on ICoin's but lately they're not much better. Half the time they arrive the frames are bent, the door doesn't seat properly or the reject arm needs tweaking to work correctly.

MEP001

Reaction score
I know a local operator who bought a bunch of the new MA850 acceptors. He said they're working fine. He's friends with Mike Oliver who told him they've changed manufacturers and things should be getting better.

Etowah

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I haven't had a single 850 problem yet. I can't speak for the x-12, although I can speak to my experience with Hamilton techs. They are very knowledgeable for items that they sell. When it comes to anything outside the box, you are usually better off talking to a knowledgeable distributor or this high dollar option right here. The x-12 has quite a few configuration options, so make sure you have one set up for pulse credit since its going in an ACW. Also make sure you have the coin wire going to the correct common.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Amazing IDX is still in business??!! ZERO customer service!!

DiamondWash

Reaction score
We installed a new MA850 as a replacement for an old MA800 that kept forgetting the learned coins about a month ago no problem as of yet (knock on wood).

kentadel

Reaction score
I recently purchased 850's, and had 1 that did not power up from the factory. I sent it back and just today they sent an email with a pic of a damaged acceptor, due to vandalism, and not worth repairing, they noted. Clearly the unit in the pic is not the unit I sent them. Will see how this ends up. No problems with them before this.

MEP001

Reaction score
I recently purchased 850's, and had 1 that did not power up from the factory. I sent it back and just today they sent an email with a pic of a damaged acceptor, due to vandalism, and not worth repairing, they noted. Clearly the unit in the pic is not the unit I sent them. Will see how this ends up. No problems with them before this.
I suspected they were doing something like this. I was sending back as many as six at a time for repair, and usually one would just not come back. Invoice said either beyond repair or not cost-effective to repair. None of them were particularly old or ever vandalized, so my only guess is they used components from one to fix others (which they charged parts for) and just didn't send back the ones they scavenged for parts.

Randy

Reaction score
I got talked into purchasing an IDX X-12 (that's their new coin mech) to put in a Hamilton ACW. "Just plug it in" IDX said. "Works great" IDX said. Shame on me I fell for it. Got the X-12 and it won't work in a Hamilton ACW. IDX says "sure it will". After several phone calls to IDX their opinion is that it's my Hamilton's fault. So I called Hamilton. Hamilton says they've tried to get a X-12 to work in their ACW's and they can't get them to work either. Buyer beware I guess. I should have known better....IDX!!!
If the coin acceptor you’re trying to use in your Hamilton ACW came from a coin box and didn’t come from Hamilton you might have a hard time getting it work properly because the Hamilton controller is looking for specific pulse rate. A coin box coin acceptor doesn’t have a coin pulse rate that the controller will recognize, sometimes you can get them to work, but most of the time they won’t work properly. A micro-coin coin acceptor can be reprogrammed to change the pulse rates if you want to go to the expense of buying the hardware.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Randy & others,

Ideally, coin mechs or its interface (Dixmor Hamilton or whatever) would have a cell phone like port on them that would allow the pulse rate or another minor firmware update from a laptop etc. Eliminating the need for special hardware(???) you refer to.

This is the approach I am taking with my Sparkfun DG600F coin mechs for my 32 washing machine update. Not sure if those coin mechs can be made water resistant enough for car wash payment use though. https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/General/6CoinAcc.pdf

BTW, I originally had my heart set on either Parker or IDX.

copperglobe

Reaction score
If the coin acceptor you’re trying to use in your Hamilton ACW came from a coin box and didn’t come from Hamilton you might have a hard time getting it work properly because the Hamilton controller is looking for specific pulse rate. A coin box coin acceptor doesn’t have a coin pulse rate that the controller will recognize, sometimes you can get them to work, but most of the time they won’t work properly. A micro-coin coin acceptor can be reprogrammed to change the pulse rates if you want to go to the expense of buying the hardware.
Randy,

The X-12 I purchased was directly from IDX with my instruction to them that it was to be used in a Hamilton ACW4. It came from IDX with the Hamilton plug for the wiring- plugs right in. I was told all I had to do was program it for my tokens and it would work. I tried it again recently, won't work. I called IDX a couple weeks ago and told them it wasn't working in my acw4 and that I'd like to send it back for refund. "we'll call you back". That was two weeks ago. Still no phone call.

OurTown

Reaction score
Someone should direct IDX's owner/CEO to this forum and tell them to search for their company name.

kentadel

Reaction score
Here is the update on my MA850 issue. As I posted, I had a unit, purchased thru Dultmeier, that did not work from the factory which I returned. IDX sent Dultmeier and me a pic of a damaged unit, vandalized, and determined cost of repair was over $200 and was too much to repair. I replied to Dultmeier that the unit in the pic was not the same as I returned a new unit that had never had a quarter inserted. IDX then replied that the cost would be $86 because a chip was found to be good, lowering repair cost. I still refused to pay for repair of a new unit. I called Cathy at Dultmeier and Dulmeier will credit me the full amount. That was nice of Dultmeier and I appreciate it. My hope is that this was an honest mistake at IDX, mistaking my returned unit for another.

washnvac

Reaction score
My hope is that this was an honest mistake at IDX, mistaking my returned unit for another.
How would they make this mistake? Don't all these units have serial numbers? Sounds like a load of bs. I have not repaired any of the few idx units that I had; converted everything to slugbusters.

WikiWash

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

My IDX MA800 coin mech is acting up on my Fragramtics combo vac and fragrance. When a coin is dropped in the coin mech it rings accepts the coin but doesn't show up on my timer, If i drop say 6 coins it may only recognize half of them on the timer. Fragramatics said its the MA800 and not the timer. They said to reprogram it, if that doesn't work to send it in and they would repair it. Should I even bother sending it back or just buy a new mech? If I do get a new coin mech what should I get? I would like the new one to be able to work with quarters, $1 US coins and our car wash tokens. Thanks!