What's new

New ideas from the ICA show anyone?

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Anyone see anything worth talking about for either self-serve or In-bays at the ICA show?

MudMoney

Reaction score
I saw no "wow", I did like having my picture taken with the Simoniz models.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Could you send the pics----Just can't seem to understand without pictures

soapy

Reaction score
I did not see any new automatics or SS equipment . The ICA had very little to offer the SS car wash model IMO. They had no classes for the SS side of things. I even talked to one ICA executive who said they were only interested in the Express tunnel model of things right now. I did find one company that makes new faces for SS bay coin boxes for $28. For $5 moe they will customize them. They also have new faces for auto cashiers at reasonable prices. I picked a lot of new ideas from other operators though and that made it worth my while. I was proud to see Randy make it through a huge rack of ribs at the PepperMill forum dinner.

MudMoney

Reaction score
I also noticed lack of SS marketing and in my search for a IBA was told I was wasting my time on IBA as I needed to get into the Express model.I'm not shy about informing the "all knowing salesmen and distributors" that SS and IBA have their place.If the ICA wants to focus just on one segment of the wash industry,the day will arrive that the ICA has no members and no show.I vote against having dinner at the Peppermill next year,they can't follow instructions!

copperglobe

Reaction score
I did not see any new automatics or SS equipment . The ICA had very little to offer the SS car wash model IMO. They had no classes for the SS side of things. I even talked to one ICA executive who said they were only interested in the Express tunnel model of things right now. I did find one company that makes new faces for SS bay coin boxes for $28. For $5 moe they will customize them. They also have new faces for auto cashiers at reasonable prices. I picked a lot of new ideas from other operators though and that made it worth my while. I was proud to see Randy make it through a huge rack of ribs at the PepperMill forum dinner.
What was the name of this company? I'm interested in more info. Thanks.

Robert Bailey

Reaction score
prob because the way ICA thinks, that all SS can IBA should go to NACS instead of ICA.. Not true but seems lacking the support to make me think otherwise. With that being said ss should look into excepting CC if possible.(gated unlimited or not) etowahvalleyequipment should have been at the show along with others. I always suggest Talking with venders what they think is new to SS or IBA. It can vary state to state or big town vs small town.

HFI tri foam for self serve is great too, I have seen people adding air drying and such. Is it new maybe not but SS IBA owners dont always go to each and every show every year. Have you seen adding tire-shine machine to a vacuum.

Lots to talk about for SS still , like energy saving because they have lights on year round all night long.

Lots of express owners have SS still.. networking at big shows is great way to learn more.

Aokay ending my rant..

Randy

Reaction score
I have to Ditto what Soapy said, The ICA has pretty much forgotten about the Self-serve industry. But then on the other hand I can understand the direction that the ICA is going and it’s going after the big money as the Self-serve industry on a steady decline. There wasn’t much at the show for the Self-serve industry, not many coin boxes and much pumping equipment. There were a lot of Soap manufactures there, I did score some samples of soap. I scored a couple of Coinco Vantage validators, on a 30 day trial for a customer who’s been having problems with his Mag-50 validators. I talked to the guy who is making the Face plate decals and other graphic stickers. http://stagraphics.com/index.html

The Crypto-pay booth was absolutely packed every time we walked by, couldn’t near the place. My wife got to talk to them the last day. They’ve cut the rate now down so it looks real attractive.

Dinner at the Peppermill was good. The rack of ribs was great.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Soapy,
Please let me know the vendor who sold the coin box faces. PM me or post it here. Thanks,
Buzzie

soapy

Reaction score
Randy had it right about the STAgraphics, they are the ones who had the face decals. All the suggestions by R bailey have been around a while. I have done all of them except the in bay SS dryer. I was not saying that operators did not get anything from the show but rather most who attended gained insight and knowledge on their own in spite of the ICA.

slash007

Reaction score
I have to Ditto what Soapy said, The ICA has pretty much forgotten about the Self-serve industry. But then on the other hand I can understand the direction that the ICA is going and it’s going after the big money as the Self-serve industry on a steady decline. There wasn’t much at the show for the Self-serve industry, not many coin boxes and much pumping equipment. There were a lot of Soap manufactures there, I did score some samples of soap. I scored a couple of Coinco Vantage validators, on a 30 day trial for a customer who’s been having problems with his Mag-50 validators. I talked to the guy who is making the Face plate decals and other graphic stickers. http://stagraphics.com/index.html

The Crypto-pay booth was absolutely packed every time we walked by, couldn’t near the place. My wife got to talk to them the last day. They’ve cut the rate now down so it looks real attractive.

Dinner at the Peppermill was good. The rack of ribs was great.
What rate did cryptopay cut down?

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
prob because the way ICA thinks, that all SS can IBA should go to NACS instead of ICA.. Not true but seems lacking the support to make me think otherwise. With that being said ss should look into excepting CC if possible.(gated unlimited or not) etowahvalleyequipment should have been at the show along with others. I always suggest Talking with venders what they think is new to SS or IBA. It can vary state to state or big town vs small town.

HFI tri foam for self serve is great too, I have seen people adding air drying and such. Is it new maybe not but SS IBA owners dont always go to each and every show every year. Have you seen adding tire-shine machine to a vacuum.

Lots to talk about for SS still , like energy saving because they have lights on year round all night long.

Lots of express owners have SS still.. networking at big shows is great way to learn more.

Aokay ending my rant..
Robert, Etowah Valley was there with a fair size booth and was busy. Their booth was off to the right of one of the food areas and was busy. The show was busy as you know but was huge and cut up.

My son & wife insisted on renting a "scooter" for me to get around in so was able to hit all the aisles. I drove it so much I had to recharge it outside the hall to get back to the hotel! While waiting for the recharge talked to a guy with a 12-bay and an 8-bay back east.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
While I would be the last to say ICA did not need some more ideas for the shows, I do not know that the org can be faulted for lack of SS stuff. I think the type and quantity of stuff is driven by what the mfgrs want to pay to present.

Talked to one of my local SS distributers who had gone to shows in the past. Said he was not going due to what he felt was the potential demand vs cost.

I always wondered how the ICA chose certain topics and presenters. Perhaps again it's driven by what they perceive the demand to be. Alter their perception and perhaps it would change, or alter the mfgrs perception by letting them know you'd like to see more SS stuff at the show and perhaps they will comply.

MEP001

Reaction score
It says they're currently building the website.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
If you thought self-service had less presence at the show this year wait till next year.

In 2008 fall issue of Wash Trends, Jim Gosnell, Etowah Valley Equipment Company, stated, “The self serve model is not dead, it simply needs updating.”

Gosnell suggested self-service owners need to move away from the “quarter mentality” and must work smarter and more professionally and make decisions that are information-based.

Now, its five years later and some self-service owners are still grumbling.

If you want to place blame for demise of self-service business model, blame the loyalty of your customers not ICA or OEM’s.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I vote against having dinner at the Peppermill next year,they can't follow instructions!
The voting system in place picked Peppermill by default. My favorite places are Grand Lux and PM. GL didn't want us, so PM it was. I even ate there again before I came back to the real world Saturday night. I promise it won't be PM next year, even if it is my choice, since the show is in Chicago next year.

I haven't missed a show since 2000. I am so bummed about Chicago that I may not go. I know I am a Vegas junkie, but is anyone else as underwhelmed by the venue change as I am?

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
I.B.,

Thanks for your effort to set up the Forum dinner. The tables were set up up so it was hard to get around to see members, but that the way it is.

As for Chicago I am more "underwhelmed" to exhibit there than anywhere else. I don't like the place at all. We exhibited there about ten years (?) ago; it was not very good for us. We are not making the decisions on show sites, so we either go or don't go. I don't particularly like Vegas either, but people do come to the shows.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Uncle Sam :)